Leopard vs Melanurus wrasse

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I picked up a blue Star wrasse 3 days ago trying him again the first was weak swam a bit dug in never came out, this one eats and is active, my juvinile or female Melanurus has been in the tank about 3 weeks the first he did not have any issues no one cared about him including my six line and my purple dottyback but now this dang Melanurus wants blood!, I was able to capture the poor lil guy and had him in the acclimation box for a day and the Melanurus seem fine so I made the mistake of releasing the blue Star all hell went loose! Dang it! Is there a way to reduce this Hes nipping hard not just a this is my turf nip. He has a bellly bump I keep my fishes well fed anything else I can try ?

75g
~100lb LR
And about 3 inch sand bed

I can’t freaking catch him and I noticed the Melanurus left him alone because he was scare of the acclimation box he would not go near it I need help

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Melanurus gave my Blue Star Leopard a heck of a time for about 2 weeks after I introduced the Blue Star. Now it has backed off considerably. It's pretty much only at feeding time where there is a problem now (and I don't worry because the Blue Star always finds a way to get food). It's possible it can get better, you could try a mirror but I agree it is likely you may have to remove one.

OP
OP
Oshengems

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird thing so I left the trap in where the blue Star was chilling for a day guess he felt comfortable now he’s chilling under the trap and my Melanurus wants to chase but stops when he’s the close to the trap he’s only staying on one side of the tank. I really like this blue star and my Melanurus still has the ugly colors I wish I could catch him but it seems that won’t be the case. Dang it!!! Out of all fishes I assumed my six line or dotty back would’ve been the douches I have a mild dottyback and six line and a psychopath Melanurus wish me luck

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been now? Like a post said above the aggression will normally reduce a lot after a week or two. Both of these fish can burrow into the sand and if they need to they will get away from each other. I keep five different leopard wrasse in my tank and that's always the case if someone gets uncomfortable they burrow and come out later. After all of them being together for so long, they don't bother each other. One of them, of course, is the boss of the tank but its never a beat down it's just a chase every now and then. If the melanurus won't stop and it's a complete brawl all the time he needs to go.

OP
OP
Oshengems

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Melanurus gave my Blue Star Leopard a heck of a time for about 2 weeks after I introduced the Blue Star. Now it has backed off considerably. It's pretty much only at feeding time where there is a problem now (and I don't worry because the Blue Star always finds a way to get food). It's possible it can get better, you could try a mirror but I agree it is likely you may have to remove one.

What tank size ? I was hopping on growing the Melanurus to adult I had one previously and love the colors of the males, but comparing now the blue Star is so freakin clean looking, im looking online I will try a mirror waking to beauty supply to get one

OP
OP
Oshengems

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been now? Like a post said above the aggression will normally reduce a lot after a week or two. Both of these fish can burrow into the sand and if they need to they will get away from each other. I keep five different leopard wrasse in my tank and that's always the case if someone gets uncomfortable they burrow and come out later. After all of them being together for so long, they don't bother each other. One of them, of course, is the boss of the tank but its never a beat down it's just a chase every now and then. If the melanurus won't stop and it's a complete brawl all the time he needs to go.

He’s been In the tank just a few days I had the blue star in the acclimation box for a day and since the Melanurus was chill I released him last night bad idea he was just scare of the trap. The only time i seen aggression like that was my flame vs a multicolor which he was chasing to kill not to nip

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What tank size ? I was hopping on growing the Melanurus to adult I had one previously and love the colors of the males, but comparing now the blue Star is so freakin clean looking, im looking online I will try a mirror waking to beauty supply to get one

Mirror trick can work.

He’s been In the tank just a few days I had the blue star in the acclimation box for a day and since the Melanurus was chill I released him last night bad idea he was just scare of the trap. The only time i seen aggression like that was my flame vs a multicolor which he was chasing to kill not to nip

I would see how things go over the next few days. If you see no improvement then consider removing one of them. I totally understand where you are coming from blue stars are absolutely beautiful fish. Fish can funny I took a 4 line wrasse from a guy who had him in a 400 gallon that said he was beating on all his fish. His mistake was he added this fish first before any other fish. I put the fish in my 80 gallon tank as my last fish and he's super chill and doesn't bother anyone. I doubt you want to remove him and add him back later if you could because of how hard it is to catch a wrasse but it's a possibility that could work. They can be territorial.

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every fish and tank is different. I added a transitioning male blue star to an established melanarus two weeks ago and haven’t had any aggression issues with any of the other tankmates.

OP
OP
Oshengems

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish trap is working it’s keeping the Melanurus scare on the other side of the tank and is just flashing at him when he’s near but def aggression reduce just a lil he still doesn’t like his presence

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had loads of issues with my melanurus pair when I wanted to add a bipartitus pair. The killed at least 2 even with use of acclimation box. I got lucky with one female bipartitus finally (prefer the look of the female Vs male) but it transitioned to male quick and killed a female I tried to add. I’m considering either removing all or waiting for them to die then get 2 melanurus 2 bipartitus and 1 meleagrus all females and adding at same time.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a 90 gallon tank. My Melanurus is also still transitioning from juvie to adult. I got mine really young (about 2.5 inches) and it wasn't very attractive but it is starting to change color and looking more colorful as time passes.

OP
OP
Oshengems

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost 3 weeks to catch a dang fish!!! Jesus Christ! All my other fishes were literally living in the dang trap since I was feeding there but that dang wrasse was so scare of it, I was considering keeping him in the sump and adding him an 3-4 weeks to the display but he really did not like that leopard wrase which is still doing great eating like a champ

FoxyFace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a lot easier to acclimate a melanarus than a leopard. Like the others said, take him out. If you put him in the sump, reintroducing later may work. My fuge doubles as a penalty box too.

OP
OP
Oshengems

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a lot easier to acclimate a melanarus than a leopard. Like the others said, take him out. If you put him in the sump, reintroducing later may work. My fuge doubles as a penalty box too.

lol same here that’s the time out area although there’s a long spine urching that’s been there close to 9 months he’s definitely getting all the scraps my overflow sucks down. He’s a juvenile I wanted to see the male transition but I’m considerinf the blue star leopard is an eye Catcher for sure

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find a small mirror to place in the back of the fish trap, the melanurus may get so focused on the "rival," that it will go in the trap.

However, due to the highly individualistic nature, I would rehome this aggressive specimen and try for a calmer one.

OP
OP
Oshengems

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find a small mirror to place in the back of the fish trap, the melanurus may get so focused on the "rival," that it will go in the trap.

However, due to the highly individualistic nature, I would rehome this aggressive specimen and try for a calmer one.

Yeah I’m not risking it I will try another, he’s going up for sale

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back