Leopard Wrasse jaw issue?? Pic of damage

lost1317

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this larger female blue star leopard wrasse about a week ago. My two clownfish and Melanurus wrasse gave her a rough welcoming. She was eating and stayed out for the first few days even while she was being chased and nipped a bit. On Saturday night she buried herself and didn’t come back out until this morning (Thursday). I noticed when she came out that her jaw looked different. Do you think she will recover or is she just going to wither away? I fed everyone and noticed her trying to go after the pellets.
A6EB4657-8BA2-4870-86A1-62546ABA7BA3.jpeg

OP
OP
lost1317

lost1317

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the pic, but is her beak damaged?

Beak damage is almost certain death for these types of fish.
I'm really not sure. It looked like she was having a hard time opening her mouth but I was happy to see her eat a few pellets. That at least gives me hope.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's eating, it will recover more then likely. They sometimes get beak damage from diving into the sand and hitting the bottom of the tank. How deep is your sandbed?

ewanho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U might want to try mushed up brine shrimp and if u can isloate her, use alot of the juices so she gets some nutrients if she cant open her mouth all the way ( kind of lime giving a sick person clear soups when they can eat solid foods)

OP
OP
lost1317

lost1317

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's eating, it will recover more then likely. They sometimes get beak damage from diving into the sand and hitting the bottom of the tank. How deep is your sandbed?
I hope so. Honestly, I'm worried about the tank mates picking on her. I put a mirror back up to try to steer their attention away from her. The sandbed is 2"+

OP
OP
lost1317

lost1317

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U might want to try mushed up brine shrimp and if u can isloate her, use alot of the juices so she gets some nutrients if she cant open her mouth all the way ( kind of lime giving a sick person clear soups when they can eat solid foods)
That's a good call. I'll see if there's a way to do that. I'm not really sure how I would be able to do that yet though. Might have to get creative with some acrylic or something.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Leopard wrasse pictured lost part of the upper jaw flesh. What you see is the remain bone and teeth. He may heal but unlikely to regrowth the fleshy parts. I think he can eat just fine. No problem with his throat and mouth, just missing the outer lip. Here is the picture of their open mouth structure, as you can see, the bonny part is normal but missing the flesh that cover it.
Picture of T K Lemon, from this article
lemon01.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This will likely be a deformity but do assure it eats.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back