Clownfish pair Issue

Raazka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

About a month and a half ago I purchased a Mocha Storm Clownfish “pair” from my job and ever since then the female has never came around to actually pair up with him. She commonly chases him away, charges and “bites” at his sides, they never sleep together and she overall doesn’t tolerate his presence near her. On the other side, my male never fights back and shows the appropriate submissive reactions yet she doesn’t change her behaviour towards him.

As of today, I had to isolate the female because she nipped at his tail fin and actually tore it up a little bit. This is where I’m not sure how to process ; should I reintroduce her after a few days, should I keep the male alone and if so will he be alright not having a partner OR should I replace the female with another Clownfish (and if so how should I go on with this?)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like the female thinks the male isn't fit for mating with. She may change her mind, but she may kill him before that happens. Pairs of clowns are really a roll of the dice, even two fish together in a tank when they were young doesn't garantee that they will settle down together. Some girls just want to have fun, putting another notch in their caudal fin, etc.

Dice Vegas GIF by The Weeknd
queen of pop omg GIF

You might need to find a new male, or get rid of the one you have, depending on which fish you think looks best. (If they can do it, so can we!

sharon stone wiffle GIF
:cool:
the rolling stones GIF

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back