Leopard wrasse question

Picoflreefer.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male leopard wrasse I’ve had for about a month. Has been eating good and out and active all day. Sunday he started acting weird like laying on the bottom. He stopped eating as much. I feed frozen mysis. Soon as I go to the tank he would start swimming like nothing was wrong. That progressed and now He’s laying against a rock breathing heavy. Lastnight he wasn’t even sleeping under the sand. I understand it’s hard to be successful keeping these but figured I would ask if anyone has seen this behavior.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it is in bad shape. You have to get him quarantined and either treat for parasites/disease or make sure he gets more food.

Just because he was eating for a month doesn't mean he was getting enough food. They have small mouths and chew slowly so a lot of times they don't get enough food. His belly should always be very obviously fat and full right after feeding. At least that is my experience with the two I have had success with long term.

OP
OP
Picoflreefer.

Picoflreefer.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it is in bad shape. You have to get him quarantined and either treat for parasites/disease or make sure he gets more food.

Just because he was eating for a month doesn't mean he was getting enough food. They have small mouths and chew slowly so a lot of times they don't get enough food. His belly should always be very obviously fat and full right after feeding. At least that is my experience with the two I have had success with long term.
There’s only 1 fish in there with him. Made sure he ate good. Everyday I was feeding. Hate to lose a fish and I don’t know what I did wrong

OP
OP
Picoflreefer.

Picoflreefer.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Moving him into a qt wouldn’t stress him even more? Feel like that will just over do it

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving him into a qt wouldn’t stress him even more? Feel like that will just over do it

If the water quality is good in quarantine I don't see how it could be worse than the current situation. By the sounds of it I would be surprised if it lives much longer as is. Hope I'm wrong.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide a picture? Weight loss is a problem with these fish, particularly if you see pinching behind the head.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back