Leopard wrasse rubbing against the sand/rock

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Phlynamjax, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Phlynamjax

Phlynamjax Member

I recently added a bluestar leopard wrasse to my display tank. I QTed him for 4 weeks using 2 rounds of Prazipro. I noticed that he is rubbing against the sand/rock time to time. I did not see this behavior in QT because I do not have any sand or rock in there. He is still eating and active throughout the day. However, I am very concerned as leopard wrasses are very sensitive. I think he possibly has some kind of worms that possibly survived through prazi or other parasites. I do not see any visual parasite such as ich on my wrasses or any of my other fishes including angels and tangs. I currently have 4 different leopard wrasses in this tank. I would like to get some advice on what I should do. I can dose copper in the tank if needed. I do not have any corals in this tank.

1. Treat for ich anyways using copper
    2. Just dose Prazi in DT and see
    3. Keep up with the water quality and feed him well. Then hope he recovers on his own
    4. Feed him some prazi and metroplex.

thanks,

Tags:

2. Bug235

Bug235 Active Member

Try Fish Keeper works great for me in same situation

3. Bug235

Bug235 Active Member

IMG_7676.jpg

4. Phlynamjax

Phlynamjax Member

Thanks for your feedback. I just did some water change and added PraziPro in display tank. If the leopard wrasse continues with the same behavior, then I can for sure know that it is not a worm issue.

eatbreakfast likes this.
  5. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Leopards can harbor ich and velvet in the gills without showing other symptoms, as can many wrasse. It’s hard to say, but if no one else is showing signs of ich and velvet it could be healing gills are itchy from prazi treatment.

I would feed metroplex and add focus to strained frozen foods soaked in selcon or zoecon. Leopards get internal parasites anyway, they’re notorious for it so this should be a necessity with them :)

Focus binds metroplex to the food.

eatbreakfast likes this.
  6. Phlynamjax

Phlynamjax Member

Thanks for your feedback. It is still early to tell, but I would think angels and tangs will show signs of ich if my tank is infected by ich. I generally use Mysis + General cure + Focus. Do you think this is effective as using just a metroplex? I am aware of content of the General Cure. However, I am not sure if it has enough metronidazole and Praziquantel to be effective. Do you have any experience with mixing general cure with fish food?

7. Phlynamjax

Phlynamjax Member

Thanks! I wll do some research on this.

8. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I do not, Ive only used metroplex with great results.

9. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award CTARS Member Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor R2R TV Featured

My leopard wrasse do this occasionally as well, and I have had them for almost four years without any subsequent appearance of disease. It almost seems to me like a feeding mechanism to dislodge pods from the substrate. FWIW, internal parasites usually manifest in either stringy white poop and/or weight loss.

10. saltyhog

saltyhog Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2018

I have also noted my Potter's leopard wrasse doing this occasionally over the years with zero signs of illness. It doesn't necessarily mean disease, although it could.

Carolinablur3 likes this.
  11. Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo Well-Known Member

I just got a leopard wrasse and he’s been doing that on and off. I did read that they do that for food, so I hope so :) he looks healthy and is eating.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted