Leopard wrasse rubbing against the sand/rock

Phlynamjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a bluestar leopard wrasse to my display tank. I QTed him for 4 weeks using 2 rounds of Prazipro. I noticed that he is rubbing against the sand/rock time to time. I did not see this behavior in QT because I do not have any sand or rock in there. He is still eating and active throughout the day. However, I am very concerned as leopard wrasses are very sensitive. I think he possibly has some kind of worms that possibly survived through prazi or other parasites. I do not see any visual parasite such as ich on my wrasses or any of my other fishes including angels and tangs. I currently have 4 different leopard wrasses in this tank. I would like to get some advice on what I should do. I can dose copper in the tank if needed. I do not have any corals in this tank.

1. Treat for ich anyways using copper
2. Just dose Prazi in DT and see
3. Keep up with the water quality and feed him well. Then hope he recovers on his own
4. Feed him some prazi and metroplex.

thanks,

Bug235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a bluestar leopard wrasse to my display tank. I QTed him for 4 weeks using 2 rounds of Prazipro. I noticed that he is rubbing against the sand/rock time to time. I did not see this behavior in QT because I do not have any sand or rock in there. He is still eating and active throughout the day. However, I am very concerned as leopard wrasses are very sensitive. I think he possibly has some kind of worms that possibly survived through prazi or other parasites. I do not see any visual parasite such as ich on my wrasses or any of my other fishes including angels and tangs. I currently have 4 different leopard wrasses in this tank. I would like to get some advice on what I should do. I can dose copper in the tank if needed. I do not have any corals in this tank.

1. Treat for ich anyways using copper
2. Just dose Prazi in DT and see
3. Keep up with the water quality and feed him well. Then hope he recovers on his own
4. Feed him some prazi and metroplex.

thanks,

Try Fish Keeper works great for me in same situation

Bug235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Fish Keeper works great for me in same situation

IMG_7676.jpg

OP
OP
P

Phlynamjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your feedback. I just did some water change and added PraziPro in display tank. If the leopard wrasse continues with the same behavior, then I can for sure know that it is not a worm issue.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopards can harbor ich and velvet in the gills without showing other symptoms, as can many wrasse. It’s hard to say, but if no one else is showing signs of ich and velvet it could be healing gills are itchy from prazi treatment.

I would feed metroplex and add focus to strained frozen foods soaked in selcon or zoecon. Leopards get internal parasites anyway, they’re notorious for it so this should be a necessity with them :)

Focus binds metroplex to the food.

OP
OP
P

Phlynamjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopards can harbor ich and velvet in the gills without showing other symptoms, as can many wrasse. It’s hard to say, but if no one else is showing signs of ich and velvet it could be healing gills are itchy from prazi treatment.

I would feed metroplex and add focus to strained frozen foods soaked in selcon or zoecon. Leopards get internal parasites anyway, they’re notorious for it so this should be a necessity with them :)

Focus binds metroplex to the food.

Thanks for your feedback. It is still early to tell, but I would think angels and tangs will show signs of ich if my tank is infected by ich. I generally use Mysis + General cure + Focus. Do you think this is effective as using just a metroplex? I am aware of content of the General Cure. However, I am not sure if it has enough metronidazole and Praziquantel to be effective. Do you have any experience with mixing general cure with fish food?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your feedback. It is still early to tell, but I would think angels and tangs will show signs of ich if my tank is infected by ich. I generally use Mysis + General cure + Focus. Do you think this is effective as using just a metroplex? I am aware of content of the General Cure. However, I am not sure if it has enough metronidazole and Praziquantel to be effective. Do you have any experience with mixing general cure with fish food?
I do not, Ive only used metroplex with great results.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My leopard wrasse do this occasionally as well, and I have had them for almost four years without any subsequent appearance of disease. It almost seems to me like a feeding mechanism to dislodge pods from the substrate. FWIW, internal parasites usually manifest in either stringy white poop and/or weight loss.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also noted my Potter's leopard wrasse doing this occasionally over the years with zero signs of illness. It doesn't necessarily mean disease, although it could.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also noted my Potter's leopard wrasse doing this occasionally over the years with zero signs of illness. It doesn't necessarily mean disease, although it could.

I just got a leopard wrasse and he’s been doing that on and off. I did read that they do that for food, so I hope so :) he looks healthy and is eating.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back