Leopard Wrasse Stocking Question

wom001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well symmetry is beauty and Id like to have a bunch of leopard pairs in my 260.

My initial plan was:

Black L x2
Ornate L x2
Potters L x2
Bluestar L x2

Pink Streaked and Radiant wrasse, are both planned as well.

Since this is just a part of my stocking list and my hesitation is that after adding these beauties ill run headlong into water quality issues. Im going to be SPS dominant and I know i have to walk a thin line on my reef inhabitants. So my second idea was to do a few single ones that don't have very distinct male color variations and then focus on getting pairs that do show a more distinct color differences. Best of both worlds as they say.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you stocking other fish outside of the wrasse?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So wrasses don't form bonded prs. Leopards will tolerate their own kind, but there can be some significant aggression between males across the genus, and some aggression between individuals of the same species.

Rather than doing prs there will be a better chance of doing one individual per species, or doing a group of a species.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with eatbreakfast. Trying to do pairs is a pain. Also @the OP, have you had experience with Leopard Wrasses before? They tend to be delicate shippers so it is crucial to pick the right individual if you want them to last long term.

OP
OP
wom001

wom001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies, I didnt have notifications for this thread turned on. Yes I have had experience with Potters and Regular Leopards. Had my original pair for 2 years and had one transition into male. They are by far my favorite species of fish out there. I was entertaining the idea behind the pairs due to my previous experience with them. But i have read some things about aggression and issues with multiple individuals in a tank. Hotrocks I do plan on having other fish. My stock list looks like this:

Tangs: Tang Trio or possibly more. (Gold Rim, White Tailed Bristletooth, and either a desjardini/purple/ or muti scopas. I currently have a scopas in my system that is very unique and is mostly yellow with a blue black tail. Im sure im not that lucky and he will change into the usual colors but Id like to incorporate him if hes stays like this.

Wrasses: Aforementioned Leopards mainly with a radiant and pinkstreaked or other pygmy. I do like some of the other wrasses but for my sps dominant tank I know ill have the water surging and dont want to incorporate weak swimmers if I can help it.

Damsels: 2 clownfish pairs, 2 talbots damsels (maybe 3 depending on temperament)

Gobies/Blennies/Small fish: I plan on having some rock percher who make the smaller micro aspects of the tank to come alive. I mentioned this is my other post about using some things i learned from nanos. A reef has life in all areas not just the fore and midground. My stock plan is like, Bicolor, Spotted, etc blennies (Under 2 inches) and then gobies will mainly just be some of the midwater / stationary kind like both coloration's of fire fish (single individuals) a sissortail or 2 to run around the top of the tank, a royal gramma or orchid dottyback for rock inhabitants and a flame hawk for color splashes and goofy nature.

My only oddball fish I want is a Marine Betta, I know he will probably go after the smaller fish but i had one for years and I miss his personality so much. I never had issues with him and the other small fish and shrimp i had in my 120 but i know thats because he was fat and happy eating out of my hand. For them being labeled as cryptic he was by far the most inquisitive fish I had.

yea its probably too long of a stocking list but I was always a strict coral guy until I had a few fish that changed my perception of what they bring to the tank. I was nolonger showing off sticks and swaying jelly as my ex used to call them, I had pets with names and personalities lol.

Anyway I dont mind the change up from pairs to singles and any other feedback is appreciated.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one Male Potter, two Negrosensis (Juv) and one Meleagris (Juv). All doing well together. I wanted to get a harem of Potter or Negrogensis, but things did not really work our well for me. I really love the coloration of adult Negrosensis. These guys are all in my 320, doing very well with a numbers of wrasses. I will try to document any change in their coloration as they mature.
PotterLeopard2019012701.jpg

NegrosensisLeopard2019012701.jpg

MeleagrisLeopard2016012701.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also recommend just one of each species. You can add more color and leopard variety if you do it this way.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 202 71.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back