Red Reefer 525 XL Stocking

jtmoney528

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for some stocking ideas here and what to add with what I already have. I had a 72 Gallon bowfront and just moved to this new setup this past week and man was it an undertaking! Everything survived and is eating and doing great. I plan on slowly adding more as I did the same with the bowfront over 5 months.

Here is my current fish:

Yellow Tang (not full grown)
Coral Beauty (pretty large)
Pair of Clowns
BiColor FoxFace
Ornate Leopard Wrasse
Richmonds Wrasse
Mystery Wrasse
Diamond Goby
Red Scooter Blenny
Fire Gobies (pair)

Planned on getting:
Orange Shoulder Tang (Small)
Whitetail Bristletooth Tang
Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (when I can find one)
Radiant Wrasse (when I can find one)
Trio of Lyretail's
Really wanted to add a large angel (regal or something that size) but not sure on chancing it eating corals, I have LPS in there and plan on making it a LPS dominate tank.
Also thought of adding another dwarf angel but with the CB being quite large was not sure how that would go?

I am adding a third light in the middle there as well as there is a deadspot!

Thoughts on this?

Anything else you would add?

20231206_111148.jpg

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's alot of fish. First thing that jumps out to me is the lack of housing, caves, tunnels ect. If you have no plans on adding rock I would reconsider most of these new additions. Imo the anthias would be sitting ducks. Although I've had many wrasse over the years I'm no expert. Seems like a royal rumble in the making. Maybe @Slocke can help you out with that part as he seems invested in them. #yellowcoriswrasse lol

OP
OP
J

jtmoney528

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's alot of fish. First thing that jumps out to me is the lack of housing, caves, tunnels ect. If you have no plans on adding rock I would reconsider most of these new additions. Imo the anthias would be sitting ducks. Although I've had many wrasse over the years I'm no expert. Seems like a royal rumble in the making. Maybe @Slocke can help you out with that part as he seems invested in them. #yellowcoriswrasse lol
These are just thoughts for the ones adding. I have two large cave systems on each side on the front, then I have cave systems behind the front rocks as well, one on each side and two in the middle.

OP
OP
J

jtmoney528

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where else would you add rock? I have a lot in the sump and dry that I bleach cured.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding more wrasse is difficult when you have a mystery wrasse as they are an antisocial wrasse.

For angelfish all angels of the genus Genicanthus are reef safe.

Love the aquascape btw

OP
OP
J

jtmoney528

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding more wrasse is difficult when you have a mystery wrasse as they are an antisocial wrasse.

For angelfish all angels of the genus Genicanthus are reef safe.

Love the aquascape btw
Thank you, would you add more rock?

I got the mystery wrasse knowing it was a slight risk but so far so good.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where else would you add rock? I have a lot in the sump and dry that I bleach cured.
I mean that would be up to you. It looks very clean and symmetrical which alot of people like but might not be quite practical for all involved.

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I have a 525 also, new setup about 45 days old now. figuring out what is next.

I had not seen a Whitetail Bristletooth Tang before. Very pretty fish. I’m currently acclimating / monitoring a young Scopas tang and considering a purple tang. Now your causing me to reconsider as that white tail is pretty and not as large.

I also considered a large Angel and have decided against. I already have a coral beauty, a flame angle and a jewel damsel. The jewel is constantly on the move and fast so he is called turbo. They are all babies, have a pecking order but seem to generally get along. We will see when the tangs come along how that shakes things up and as they grow up

Last edited:

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I have a 525 also, new setup about 45 days old now. figuring out what is next.

I had not seen a Whitetail Bristletooth Tang before. Very pretty fish. I’m currently acclimating / monitoring a young Scopi tang and considering a purple tang. Now your causing me to reconsider as that white tail is pretty and not as large.

I also considered a large Angel and have decided against. I already have a coral beauty, a flame angle and a jewel damsel. The jewel is constantly on the move and fast so he is called turbo. They are all babies, have a pecking order but seem to generally get along. We will see when the tangs come along how that shakes things up and as they grow up
Might wanna rethink that purple with a scopas.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking aquascape. I agree with some of the comments here that there does not look like enough caves and hiding areas for the fish load you have planned.

OP
OP
J

jtmoney528

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking aquascape. I agree with some of the comments here that there does not look like enough caves and hiding areas for the fish load you have planned.
Added some more rockwork, what you guys think?

20231209_160743.jpg
20231209_160756.jpg
20231209_160807.jpg
20231209_160815.jpg

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some more rockwork, what you guys think?

20231209_160743.jpg
20231209_160756.jpg
20231209_160807.jpg
20231209_160815.jpg
Personally I think it looks alot more natural. I've always tried to make a structure that when the fish don't wanna be seen they won't be. I think we have the same tank and I have 3 tangs, a fox lo, a melanurus, 2 clowns and 8 large chromis. Could I put more? Maybe, but this works for what I'm trying to accomplish for the health of the coral and my routine. This is what I meant when I said caves / tunnels. 20231207_154448.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back