Leopard wrasse sudden onset —-dying

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150 gallon red sea tank two years old no recent changes leopard wrasse has been in the tank almost 2 years pretty large has been doing very well fed the tank tonight. Noticed he was open mouth breathing, that a minute or so later resting on the sand turn on laying on his side on the sand. Occasionally would get up and swim around but then lay back in the sand. Other fish were coming around to take it vantage of him I guess so my plan was to put them in an acclamation box so he didn’t get picked on but now of course he went somewhere where I can’t find them. Any ideas what would cause sudden onset behavior like that? Anybody ever see anything like choking on food in a fish? All the other fish seem OK I’m watching very closely

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't added anything recently without quarantine, then I am inclined to think it may be an oxygen level issue. And while all other fish seem fine, he may be the first victim of inadequate oxygen.

I would suggest pointing a power head at the surface to increase agitation.

Do you have a cover on your tank? If so, what is it made of?

Your most recent test results would be helpful.

OP
OP
andyg1960

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did just point the gyre upward and there is now a lot of surface agitation. There is a cover—it’s mesh net from artfully acrylic. Been on there >1 year

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did just point the gyre upward and there is now a lot of surface agitation. There is a cover—it’s mesh net from artfully acrylic. Been on there >1 year

Good. Did you recently spray anything in the room? Air freshener, bug spray...?

OP
OP
andyg1960

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No—nothing like that. All the other fish continue to look fine. No longer see the leopard wrasse- behind the rocks most likely. I turned the lights off early— thought that would slow any aggression. Not sure why they’re picking on him except that he appears to be in a compromised state now. They’ve all been together for many many months without any aggression
Good. Did you recently spray anything in the room? Air freshener, bug spray...?[/QUOTE

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish is large, there’s no telling how old it was when you received it. They live 3-7 years in captivity typically, IME

Leopard wrasse also struggle with interal parasites. They may seem fine for years and then eventually the parasite takes the upper hand, having robbed it of nutrients for a long time. Any white, stringy poop from anyone in the tank?

OP
OP
andyg1960

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish is large, there’s no telling how old it was when you received it. They live 3-7 years in captivity typically, IME

Leopard wrasse also struggle with interal parasites. They may seem fine for years and then eventually the parasite takes the upper hand, having robbed it of nutrients for a long time. Any white, stringy poop from anyone in the tank?
I bought him from the LFS about 18-20 months ago. At that time, he was 1/4 the size he is now. So, while I don’t know his exact age, I don’t think it’s more than 2 years.

Nobody has white stringy poop.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought him from the LFS about 18-20 months ago. At that time, he was 1/4 the size he is now. So, while I don’t know his exact age, I don’t think it’s more than 2 years.

Nobody has white stringy poop.
This is a common reason they die, internal parasites. They’re sensitive to flukes as well. Any flashing/scratching?

Once established they’re usually pretty hardy otherwise.

OP
OP
andyg1960

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, he ate with everyone else, then I noticed the issue a few minutes later. No flashing/scratching. Food was LRS Reef Frenzy, what I have used forever. That’s why I initially thought it was some sort of choking issue, although I realize fish breath through their gills, not their mouths.

OP
OP
andyg1960

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an update I thought this fish was dead as I couldn’t find him in about an hour ago he just appeared in the tank looking perfectly normal; piking at the rocks like he always has. I have no idea what happened, I don’t know why he was lying on his side at the bottom, I don’t know why he looks perfectly fine now but I hope it was just some weird thing that doesn’t happen again. What a hobby we have.....

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you first see this shortly before lights out? You can pretty much tell the time with mine. About 15 minutes before lights out he goes from cruising the rocks picking at stuff to someplace near the bottom. Then he'll just disappear down into the sand until repeating the next day. Sounds like perfectly normal behavior to me.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, he ate with everyone else, then I noticed the issue a few minutes later. No flashing/scratching. Food was LRS Reef Frenzy, what I have used forever. That’s why I initially thought it was some sort of choking issue, although I realize fish breath through their gills, not their mouths.
I had this same behavior happen with an anthias once after she got a big chunk of shrimp. I think maybe it got stuck and she eventually coughed it up and was fine a littl

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an update I thought this fish was dead as I couldn’t find him in about an hour ago he just appeared in the tank looking perfectly normal; piking at the rocks like he always has. I have no idea what happened, I don’t know why he was lying on his side at the bottom, I don’t know why he looks perfectly fine now but I hope it was just some weird thing that doesn’t happen again. What a hobby we have.....
From reading this thread, the only thing I can see that you did change, was, as someone suggested you aimed the power head at the surface, it may be completely coincidental , but I’d keep a check on DO.

OP
OP
andyg1960

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you first see this shortly before lights out? You can pretty much tell the time with mine. About 15 minutes before lights out he goes from cruising the rocks picking at stuff to someplace near the bottom. Then he'll just disappear down into the sand until repeating the next day. Sounds like perfectly normal behavior to me.
No not just before lights out just a few seconds after feeding. I understand that they burrow in the sand at night but this was not that behavior

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back