Wrasse is dying

scopas12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My silver belly wrasse, which I have had for about 3 years stopper swimming. When I got home today he was lying on his side breathing heavily. This seems to have happened suddenly because he was swimming around normally in the morning. He moves if you try to touch him but
IMG_5267.jpeg
he goes right back to sitting on the sand and breathing heavily. The only thing I see is a small budge in the area of his anus. I think he is probably going to die. Help would be great. Haven’t seen this bulge before, he has also been eating normally until now
IMG_5263.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
S

scopas12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my other fish are doing fine and the water Parameters are also in order. The wrasse has been in this 120 gallon since 1 and a half years.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Were there any other fish/coral, etc additions - and are there any other symptoms? It is unclear to me from the pictures - is there some kind of prolapse - or is the fish just thinner in the front. If it is behaving the way you are suggesting - its not a good prognosis unfortunately

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s still alive, it moved spots and is still lying on the floor breathing fast. No other fish have ever done this. If you try to touch it it swims away but very slowly. #f#fishmedic

IMG_5269.jpeg

Sorry, this looks like a systemic internal problem - there just isn't any treatment for this sort of an issue in fish. The prolapsed area of its anus implies a possible blockage or tumor, while the lethargy and rapid breathing means that the issue is affecting the whole fish.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Jay Hemdal - do you think a trial of antibiotics would be in order? like kanamycin or neomycin?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal - do you think a trial of antibiotics would be in order? like kanamycin or neomycin?

Unlikley to help if ABX are just added to the water. Injectables would be more likely to be helpful.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back