leopard wrasse

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do they burrow under the sand? i added one today, and haven't seen it since. are they known to be jumpers like all the other wrasses?

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah sweet Vince! How big?

Yes, they do burrow under the sand, i had one and didnt see it for a couple days. never had mine jump.

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, now I can sleep without worrying about him. :D Steve, it's only like 1'', I just had to get it. They had a pair of adult leopards (3''~) too but i think they would've been too big for my 30g.

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, baby wrasse ya got there....nice find! I cant never seen to find them under 2 inches, i would put one in my 33g but my stupid sixline would beat the **** out of it....:rolleyes:

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine hid for about 3 days when I first got him.

Just an fyi.. so far I've found that he likes to eat mysis, krill, and blood worms... he and my mandarin also buddy up looking for pods...

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i read on LA that they are picky eaters? I'm hoping that his young age will make it easier for me to train with frozen food.

I've seen people mix different wrasses before, is there some kind of a rule to what's compatible with what, or is it just hit or miss? I wouldn't mind adding few more wrasses...

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its just my sixlines a *******, picks on every new fish...2 killed fish after he was placed.....:banghead:

you can probably do fairies, flashers, and maybe even a sixline if its your last fish....

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 30 I would stay on the small side for wrasses. Leopards are tough because they won't usually take prepared foods at first and prefer frozen brine, daphnia, mysis, etc. They aren't very aggressive feeders compared to other fish and will usually starve when placed with more aggressive fish. They also tend to come with intestinal parasites that can make it hard to keep them from starving. Carpenter's wrasses also tend to come with intestinal parasites. I've used guppie flake deworming food for quite awhile now with success. Other than that leopards aren't too hard to keep, but def wouldn't say easy. lol
They are jumpers, three have jumped on me.

I had a Potter's leopard wrasse for over a year. But the Splendid leopard wrasse I've tried a few times and they just never make it for some reason.

You can keep a lot of different wrasses together in one tank if you know what you're doing. Most fairy wrasses can be mixed well as long as there is plenty of room and their colors/body shape aren't too similar. Other wrasses like the haliocheres or macropharyngodon family, etc are more competitive and I wouldn't keep more than one of the same sp in the same tank.

I introduced a Splendid leopard into the same tank as my Christmas wrasse and the Christmas wrasse just tore him apart, poor guy. I **** their markings would be disimilar enough, but the christmas sure didn't think so.
Its tricky, but after you've done it for awhile, its not too hard to figure out who will mix well. Its also good to introduce new wrasses to an already established wrasse tank in pairs, so that the other wrasses won't beat on just one guy. Kinda like adding more tangs to a system.

Sixline wrasses can become very territorial in a small tank, so I prefer to keep them with larger tank mates.
In the past I have successfully kept 6-8 different types of wrasses in my 75 all at once.

Good luck with it, leopards are one of my fav's!

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man...I hope he didn't jump. I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that he's burrowed away somewhere.

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation on wrasse compatability RG! I'll try to post some pics when he decides to show his face. :D

For a 30 I would stay on the small side for wrasses. Leopards are tough because they won't usually take prepared foods at first and prefer frozen brine, daphnia, mysis, etc. They aren't very aggressive feeders compared to other fish and will usually starve when placed with more aggressive fish. They also tend to come with intestinal parasites that can make it hard to keep them from starving. Carpenter's wrasses also tend to come with intestinal parasites. I've used guppie flake deworming food for quite awhile now with success. Other than that leopards aren't too hard to keep, but def wouldn't say easy. lol
They are jumpers, three have jumped on me.

I had a Potter's leopard wrasse for over a year. But the Splendid leopard wrasse I've tried a few times and they just never make it for some reason.

You can keep a lot of different wrasses together in one tank if you know what you're doing. Most fairy wrasses can be mixed well as long as there is plenty of room and their colors/body shape aren't too similar. Other wrasses like the haliocheres or macropharyngodon family, etc are more competitive and I wouldn't keep more than one of the same sp in the same tank.

I introduced a Splendid leopard into the same tank as my Christmas wrasse and the Christmas wrasse just tore him apart, poor guy. I **** their markings would be disimilar enough, but the christmas sure didn't think so.
Its tricky, but after you've done it for awhile, its not too hard to figure out who will mix well. Its also good to introduce new wrasses to an already established wrasse tank in pairs, so that the other wrasses won't beat on just one guy. Kinda like adding more tangs to a system.

Sixline wrasses can become very territorial in a small tank, so I prefer to keep them with larger tank mates.
In the past I have successfully kept 6-8 different types of wrasses in my 75 all at once.

Good luck with it, leopards are one of my fav's!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back