Leptoseris losing color

rck329

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I've got a Leptoseris frag that I've had for about 6 months now. He's been growing well, but seems to be losing color, mostly on the new growth. Not bleaching per say (at least to my eye), but just not bright and solid like when I got it. My LFS had him under fairly bring light, right under and XR15 at 70%. I had him at the bottom of my tank (40B) under any XR30 at about 50% - about 125 par.
I have since moved him to an almost shaded area to see if that would improve things.

July 2017 (just added)
lepto-new.JPG

Nov. 2017
lepto-old.jpg

Do you think maybe it needs more light? Guessing the LFS had him under 200-300.

OP
OP
rck329

rck329

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes most likely. the general rule I follow is browning = more light and bleaching = less light

Yeah, I think that was it. I pulled it out of the shade today - didn't realize I had it shaded as much as I did - the part that was shaded looked really bad. And the lit part looks pretty good, recovering from what it looked like above. Dang it. I think it will recover though.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep us posted on how it does!

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of my favorite corals. It took me a few tries before getting mine to really take off. I had to try a few different spots before i found a good place for it. I have mine partially shaded under a rock.
Keep us updated.

Back