Leptoseris losing color

  • Thread starter Thread starter rck329
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rck329

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 31, 2014
Messages
96
Reaction score
62
Location
Pittsburgh
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I've got a Leptoseris frag that I've had for about 6 months now. He's been growing well, but seems to be losing color, mostly on the new growth. Not bleaching per say (at least to my eye), but just not bright and solid like when I got it. My LFS had him under fairly bring light, right under and XR15 at 70%. I had him at the bottom of my tank (40B) under any XR30 at about 50% - about 125 par.
I have since moved him to an almost shaded area to see if that would improve things.

July 2017 (just added)
lepto-new.JPG



Nov. 2017
lepto-old.jpg


Do you think maybe it needs more light? Guessing the LFS had him under 200-300.
 
yes most likely. the general rule I follow is browning = more light and bleaching = less light
 
yes most likely. the general rule I follow is browning = more light and bleaching = less light

Yeah, I think that was it. I pulled it out of the shade today - didn't realize I had it shaded as much as I did - the part that was shaded looked really bad. And the lit part looks pretty good, recovering from what it looked like above. Dang it. I think it will recover though.
 
more light for sure, you can blast that thing and it will take it
 
Keep us posted on how it does!
 
This is one of my favorite corals. It took me a few tries before getting mine to really take off. I had to try a few different spots before i found a good place for it. I have mine partially shaded under a rock.
Keep us updated.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new