Lesions on Firefish

FLighthouse3

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 31, 2026
Messages
4
Reaction score
2
Location
Annapolis, MD
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I noticed lesions on my elegant firefish today between the dorsal/anal fins that are on both sides in almost exactly the same location. I do not believe they were visible last night. My best guess is abrasion from the rocks it sleeps between, but have the feeling it could potentially be marks from my royal gramma (little bit of a bully) or something worse. All inhabitants are put through QT and no new additions for the last 6 weeks. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!
20260908_141722_33E4A228-453E-412C-B188-452664DDD7C5.png


20260908_141722_90E3C7A1-0EB9-45B8-971A-C5AEC5CCBC8F.png
 
Hi,

I noticed lesions on my elegant firefish today between the dorsal/anal fins that are on both sides in almost exactly the same location. I do not believe they were visible last night. My best guess is abrasion from the rocks it sleeps between, but have the feeling it could potentially be marks from my royal gramma (little bit of a bully) or something worse. All inhabitants are put through QT and no new additions for the last 6 weeks. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!
20260908_141722_33E4A228-453E-412C-B188-452664DDD7C5.png


20260908_141722_90E3C7A1-0EB9-45B8-971A-C5AEC5CCBC8F.png

Coral reef fish rarely just injure themselves on rocks - they are well adapted to avoiding that. If a fish is severely startled, that can happen, but in those cases the snout hits first, so you usually see lesions there.

Flukes can cause this, as well as tankmate aggression.

For flukes, watching for scratching and flashing. Aggression can be tough to identify - it happens so quickly, and while you’re watching the fish, they stop to watch you. Setting up a phone to video the tank and then leaving the room sometimes works. Other times you can infer aggression - if the filefish swims away from the gramma, that means it is uncomfortable in its presence.
 
Thank you for the insight! I will try that and hope for the best. Aggression may be culprit here, as I’ve witnessed the royal gramma chase the firefish on a normal day. I was out of town sunday night so they missed dinner/ early breakfast. I can imagine that would be enough to cause an issue.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new