Less flow, better polyp extension

  • Thread starter Thread starter Acrofiend
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 31, 2016
Messages
1,634
Reaction score
579
Location
Washington
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi I had one of my pumps go out last night and I noticed the best polyp extension I’ve ever had. I know there’s many threads about this but would you recommend removing the pump or putting it back on? I’ve always gone by how the corals look. So I’d assume this is better for the acros.
 
Sounds like a good observation. I think I would replace the pump but put it on a timer to go off for awhile each day(night?) and observe how the coral responds over time.

The polyp extension is typically understood as a feeding activity. If the current is to strong then they will retract , ime. When current goes to zero I see a lot of hyperextended polyps, but I would not keep the current at zero and expect improvement over time.

Lets see what other people say- great question, and observation!
 
Hi I had one of my pumps go out last night and I noticed the best polyp extension I’ve ever had. I know there’s many threads about this but would you recommend removing the pump or putting it back on? I’ve always gone by how the corals look. So I’d assume this is better for the acros.
u could put it back but change the position
 
I read a post from @jda that acros only use their polyps for gas exchange? Not sure if that’s true or not.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new