lesson learned the hard way

  • Thread starter Thread starter SnoQ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SnoQ

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 18, 2012
Messages
462
Reaction score
54
Location
Seattle WA
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Friday I was fragging some zoas using a Dremel with a diamond wheel to cut with. As recommended, I was wearing gloves since I know some corals like to play chemical warfare. I was wearing my regular prescription glasses, as I’ve done many times before, instead of safety goggles. I turned the frag and Dremel a certain way & a bunch of dust blew up under my glasses. I stopped and rinsed eyes out & didn’t think much more about it. The rest of the day my eyes were irritated, but not too bad. When I woke up on Saturday, my eyes were irritated a little more but by then I’d forgotten about coral getting into my eyes and I just thought it was allergies. By noon my eyes were on fire and I remembered why. I thought I might be able to get through the weekend and see my doc on Monday but in no time I was in agonizing pain and ended up in the E.R. The coral had not only caused scratches all over my corneas, but I had the beginning of a pretty good infection going on. I won’t go into the details of having that treated in the E.R. but let’s just say it was slightly short of torture.

I won’t ever frag without wearing goggles in the future and hopefully someone will avoid the same type of injury by reading this.​
 
Man so sorry about this! Thank you though for the warning!
 
Sorry to hear this. I hope you heal up quickly. Thank you for sharing.
 
Sounds like you may have actually gotten off lucky since you were dealin with zoas and palytoxin! Hopefully you will heal up quickly!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new