Lesson Learned

68 Stang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I purchased a H2 Ocean precision (auto temp compensation) salinity refractometer. This tester came with a vial of calibration fluid. I constantly checked the calibration and this unit was rock solid every time. I never had to recalibrate it. Fast forward to late last year. I made a new batch salt water, 90 gallons that I have a doser performing an AWC of 1 gallon a day. I noticed my 5 inch round WWC Bounce coral beginning to like melt away from the center out. I dipped it several times and it just kept melting away. I checked all parameters a number of times and saw nothing out of the ordinary. As a last resort I took a sample of water to my LFS and they checked salinity first. To my amazement salinity was at 1.017. I took a vial of calibration fluid home and sure enough my refractometer was way of. I slowly brought salinity back up to 1.026. A month or so I noticed several very small new babies of my WWC Bounce coral growing on the same rock where I thought all was lost. Today I have 7 WWC Bounce corals corals all about the size of a 50 cent piece. Moral of the story always calibrate your testers and if you believe a test is out of range verify that test before adding anything to your tank.

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two refractormeters and calibrate often.. but latetly ny refractomerers the screws have rusted.. stupid design making it steel vs say aluminum or even plastic.

Wasnt sure my salinity was right.. brought it into a store eith a digital hanna checker last night. Salinity was fine.

But yea. I hate refratometers because they always rust

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always good advice to regularly check your test equipment. I use a regular and a digital refractometer and homemade test solution. With a cheap kitchen scale it's easy to make a diy 35ppt test solution.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always good advice to regularly check your test equipment. I use a regular and a digital refractometer and homemade test solution. With a cheap kitchen scale it's easy to make a diy 35ppt test solution.
Really? How? details please?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? How? details please?
So that I don't accidentally give you wrong information I will just link the thread I saw it in. In Randy Holmes-Farley's post he lists how to do it. Also, I multiplied the amount of salt and water by 10 so that any error in my measurements would be less detrimental to the outcome.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back