Let’s see your LOW TECH reef!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sump Crab
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
How old is the mangrove?
It's so big you can decorate it to Christmas

System was established in 2015. But it didn't take off until 2019 after a Flame Angel died. After the angel died roots started showing up around the aquascaping so I suspect it was limiting the trees growth by feeding on the roots.
 
Red Sea xl 300 w a heater skimmer and return pump in sump. No doser no apex no top offs.
Water movement is 2 x Nero 5 and lighting is 2x Xr15 g5 pros.
F8EF9B83-47AC-477E-9E03-2796C27D2C52.jpeg
F053A782-5E41-4AEC-A0A5-0090B06E7813.jpeg
 
My old 10 gallon aqua Japan nano. Fluval nano light, pump, heater, and aquatic life skimmer. Super simple. Grew huge torches. Only problem was so small corals started growing over each other and I got bored.

ACFB60A3-7F0A-415F-AC3E-841596DE143D.jpeg
 
Here is my low tech reef. Just a reef octopus skimmer and pumps and a heater. I do everything. Dosing and testing and topping off the water. Luckily I don’t travel a lot and it is very therapeutic for me.
 

Attachments

  • B507BF0A-8B6C-433D-851A-D2DEE44E97B3.jpeg
    B507BF0A-8B6C-433D-851A-D2DEE44E97B3.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 64
  • F33CA03D-3C98-47FA-8139-03E9E06FCF98.jpeg
    F33CA03D-3C98-47FA-8139-03E9E06FCF98.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 76349EBF-D949-4D1F-8411-5AD3D8C7346F.jpeg
    76349EBF-D949-4D1F-8411-5AD3D8C7346F.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 64
20221216_073150.jpg
20221217_121210.jpg

Resized_20221206_124711.jpeg


All 3 of my currently running tanks are very low tech. The only automations I have are ATOs and the lights. Otherwise, I do everything else myself.
 
This is my Angel dominated tank that is also very low tech. Just a skimmer and heater and pumps.
 

Attachments

  • D1E431C4-8B8A-430D-9CC1-9528C8F48B30.jpeg
    D1E431C4-8B8A-430D-9CC1-9528C8F48B30.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 67
13g nano and micro cube im starting. I also intentionally and purposefully only test salinity everyday unless I forget or I’m too lazy I just add the same amount of ro water as the previous day.
15B6B678-A761-4AC0-87A9-42B20F5A9E42.jpeg

I got some natural sunlight shots since I only run windex on my China light. I took the filter off in the beginning to show the naturalness.
 
Here's mine. :)

3 interconnected tanks
-SPS dominated tank
-LPS dominated tank and some softies
-sump and refugium

Currently skimmerless.
Weekly 5% water changes
Kalkwasser daily
3-4x feeding with pellets
Weekly feeding of frozen food.
 
Going to resurrect this thread! Let's see some more low-tech reefs!
 
All of my tanks are low tech. Filter floss and matrix in the back chambers, an ATO (some gravity some electronic), water movement, heater, and light(s). My bedroom 15g recently got a manual roller that I got for free, but it was running for 2+ years with just the floss.
IMG_8728.jpeg

P7231152.jpeg
P7171005.jpeg


And it doesn’t get much more simple than this little tank. It is stock everything with a filter floss cup. The SPS have full polyp extension and have been in there over a month at this point
 
20260725_135326.jpg
20260725_135429.jpg
20260725_135348.jpg

This standard 75g mixed reef aquarium has a canister filter and 2 powerheads. I transferred my former 56g into this tank last September. Currently I manually dose AFR and Cheatogro and do bi-weekly water changes. It has a battery operated auto fish feeder. It also has glass tops so no ATO. It is lit with a ReefBreeder Photon 24 V-2. I love how easy it is!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 48 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new