Let’s talk about trace elements

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of it as advanced balling or Triton method, but with absolute control over the elements.

IMO, it's half control, since it cannot do anything to lower elements that are too high, can it?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, it's half control, since it cannot do anything to lower elements that are too high, can it?
Think of it as advanced balling or Triton method, but with absolute control over the elements. Instead of dosing one bottle with multiple elements (which makes it hard to adjust individual elements) you only dose what you need. There’s a great support network of followers on Andre’s FB group and everyone chips in to help. Download the handbook for free and give a read.

The third part in full balling is not for additional trace elements as one would think, it's meant to hold your cal and alk ions more stable over a longer period of time??????

That's why TM sells K and A elements on the side.

AF also sells additional trace elements, then getting those from their Component Part - 3

OP
OP
galantra

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use moonshiners and it’s great. It’s not for everyone, but it’s super easy to follow. The corrections become less over time and some you can split up over the course of the month based on your tanks consumption. Think of it as advanced balling or Triton method, but with absolute control over the elements. Instead of dosing one bottle with multiple elements (which makes it hard to adjust individual elements) you only dose what you need. There’s a great support network of followers on Andre’s FB group and everyone chips in to help. Download the handbook for free and give a read.

I must ask and I know other reefers might too. So because you are correcting traces more individually is the cost to keep this regiment high? From start up to maintaining levels?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. Water changes or time seem to correct higher readings (for some elements).

Thanks for the link.
It's about a no water change method, but that's not my personal goal.

The cost of all the ICP testing might outway the cost of weekly water changes or a small daily water change setup.

You would still have to displace with RO/DI water for salinity creep unless you're running a cal reactor. Then your leveled trace elements might get out of wack.

Thanks again for sharing the link, just not my goal.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I must ask and I know other reefers might too. So because you are correcting traces more individually is the cost to keep this regiment high? From start up to maintaining levels?
You only need to purchase the elements that are depleted and the dailies, so the initial price can vary. I think I paid just over $200 initially and only needed to buy a couple refills so far. I average an ICP test every 6 weeks now. I run a calcium reactor, which helps with some elements, but contrary to popular belief, calcium reactors don’t always replace certain trace elements, only the ones that actually get absorbed by the skeleton and it’s not a full replacement. A lot of trace elements get consumed by the tissue of the coral or zooxanthellae. There are multiple ways of keeping a reef, this is just one of them.
Most of the elements that Andre sells are $20 a bottle, with a couple that are slightly more. One bottle of the dailies (iron, cobalt, chromium, manganese, etc) will last me 300 days. I use the less concentrated version, so I’m dosing 1mL of each every night, unless one is slightly elevated, in which I would skip using it until the next round of tests come in. For those with bigger tanks, they would choose the concentrated version and would only add a few drops a day, so theres would last even longer. All of this is up to the individual, while some enjoy weekly water changes and others don’t want to do anything and still others choose to do more. It really boils down to what you are willing to do, then you can create a system that works with your schedule or personality.

cakoenig87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only need to purchase the elements that are depleted and the dailies, so the initial price can vary. I think I paid just over $200 initially and only needed to buy a couple refills so far. I average an ICP test every 6 weeks now. I run a calcium reactor, which helps with some elements, but contrary to popular belief, calcium reactors don’t always replace certain trace elements, only the ones that actually get absorbed by the skeleton and it’s not a full replacement. A lot of trace elements get consumed by the tissue of the coral or zooxanthellae. There are multiple ways of keeping a reef, this is just one of them.
Most of the elements that Andre sells are $20 a bottle, with a couple that are slightly more. One bottle of the dailies (iron, cobalt, chromium, manganese, etc) will last me 300 days. I use the less concentrated version, so I’m dosing 1mL of each every night, unless one is slightly elevated, in which I would skip using it until the next round of tests come in. For those with bigger tanks, they would choose the concentrated version and would only add a few drops a day, so theres would last even longer. All of this is up to the individual, while some enjoy weekly water changes and others don’t want to do anything and still others choose to do more. It really boils down to what you are willing to do, then you can create a system that works with your schedule or personality.
I run the moonshiner regiment too, and I seem to have positive results with it over the last 6 months. One negative I have noticed is an increase in my potassium levels. Have you experienced this with the moonshine products?

I use all the basic elements Andre provides, and have a daily regiment for all of them after running a new ICP test every 3-4 weeks since the first of the year. The only product I use for sure that has potassium in it is Seachem's Reef Iodide, but I don't think .5ml/day of this would cause a roughly 0.6ml/day increase in potassium. The only other products I use are aquavitro eight.four, calcification, and ions (basically never have to dose for magnesium), and I can't find any specific breakdown to determine if these are a contributing factor to my potassium increase. I do plan on converting to Dr. Farley's two part DIY for alk and cal when my current supply of eight.four and calcification run out (about 8 months lol), but the constant increase of K has me searching the products I use to find the culprit. Would be great to confirm the moonshiner products do not have this affect.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back