OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's really no standard on common names; there's lots of regional variability in them.

In unrelated news, clean your glass! :)

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best I could do for pictures, it never stops moving. I purchased it as a "Blue Sided Fairy." But I'm not so sure, I've seen pictures of other wrasses that look the same. Thanks for the help.
Looks identical to my female Cirrhilabrus solorensis.

J.guokas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked this up yesterday. Can't find an ID.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385624078299.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385624078299.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 462

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked this up yesterday. Can't find an ID.

Hard to be certain from that pic, but it appears to be a female from the "Whip-fin" complex (C. filamentosus). I am leaning toward Cirrhilabrus rubripinnis.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im guessing punctatus, Hunter will be along shortly to prove me wrong though?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am seeing the picture clearly, there appears to be a filament on the dorsal, if that is the case than I would say C. filamentosus. If I am mistaken and there is no filament, than the id could be either punctatatus or rubripinnis.

J.guokas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am seeing the picture clearly, there appears to be a filament on the dorsal, if that is the case than I would say C. filamentosus. If I am mistaken and there is no filament, than the id could be either punctatatus or rubripinnis.

There is no filament.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I went punctatus instead of rubripinnis is that fish looks to have a lot of blue in it.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump for a possible ID.

Hopefully Hunter will chime in soon. I do believe we have narrowed it down to one of two species. But in the meantime, do you have any other pictures? Ideally one from the side would be nice.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the holiday delay. :)

Hmm, that's a good one...

Some additional pictures would certainly help, but my thoughts right now are C. filamentosus. Here's why: There's a faint tailspot present, which indicates this is developing juvi. In which case, that rules out punctatus for me as it would be all red/pink; punctatus only develops blues as it matures into a male. With the yellows present in the dorsal fin, that rules out C. rubripinnis (the dorsal would be entirely red). C. filamentosus can have this same "dirty" appearance as a juvi. Consider that plus the faint "pinstripe" like faint lines on the upper half of the body, and C. filamentosus fits quite strongly for me. Lastly, there's some coloration on the lower jaw and lips which is also reminiscent of filamentosus.

So pending any additional pictures, that's where I'll stand.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom pic definitely a male lubbocks, top pic probably a male lubbocki. A female Lubbock will have a black spot on the top of the caudal peduncle and usually no yellow along their dorsal. Some reference works will show females with yellow beginning along the dorsal but IME once this begins they are already initial phase males.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom pic definitely a male lubbocks, top pic probably a male lubbocki. A female Lubbock will have a black spot on the top of the caudal peduncle and usually no yellow along their dorsal. Some reference works will show females with yellow beginning along the dorsal but IME once this begins they are already initial phase males.

Just to add a bit more info, female C. lubbocki are all pink (no yellow at all) with the mentioned black dot; same as other females in the Lubbock's compex. Here is an old pic of my pair (I know only have the male):

Female is on the bottom, transitioning male on top. As mentioned, if there is any yellow, than it is a transitioning male.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the female always keeps the spot? Do they transition like clowns?

Yes, the females will always have the spot on the caudal fin. But as you can see above, just because it has a spot does not mean it is a "female". In the case above, the transitioning male had not yet lost the spot.

And they are similar to Clowns only in that they can transition. For Clowns, it is the dominant male (or juvenile) that transitions to a female. For Wrasses, "dominant" females will transition to males. I say "dominant" as even in the presence of a terminal male, female Wrasses can still turn male. There are no guarantees a female will stay female, where as with Clowns, you can bet a bonded pair will stay either male or female.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back