Grouper ID

clownfish.mike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I didn’t know if it would be better to post here or the actual ID forum but it seems more so for hitchhikers so I posted here. If it needs to be moved that’s fine.

Anyway, this is being sold as a banded yellow fin grouper with no scientific name. It is around 4 inches in length. I do not know where it was collected unfortunately. Google lens seems to think it looks closest to Saloptia powelli, the golden grouper. I couldn’t find any juvenile pictures of that fish so not completely sure. I suspect it may be some sort of Cephalopholis species. If anyone would be able to give an ID that would be appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_0473.png IMG_0472.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like a yellow snapper and can even be a young golden basslet

OP
OP
clownfish.mike

clownfish.mike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a juvenile Cephalopholis cyanostigma. As they grow, they change color dramatically. They get to about 20 inches.
Thanks. I figured it would likely not keep its colors and go through a change. There doesn’t seem to be many pictures of juvenile groupers. Of the ones I found it describes the cyanostigma as being brown with yellow fins. Is there a reason you suspect cyanostigma when the one I posted is pink?

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish in your picture is showing a stress pattern, marbling. There are only two groupers with yellow fins like in the picture, juvenile cyanostigma and the blue cod Epinephelius flavocaeruleus. I had a blue cod and just so happened to have seen one at the LFS yesterday. The cod is a stockier fish and doesn't have as much yellow encroaching into the body. Basically, both fish are eating machines.

OP
OP
clownfish.mike

clownfish.mike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish in your picture is showing a stress pattern, marbling. There are only two groupers with yellow fins like in the picture, juvenile cyanostigma and the blue cod Epinephelius flavocaeruleus. I had a blue cod and just so happened to have seen one at the LFS yesterday. The cod is a stockier fish and doesn't have as much yellow encroaching into the body. Basically, both fish are eating machines.
Ah okay, thank you for explanation I appreciate it.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure, a grouper and definitely not a snapper of any kind. Look at that mouth; seabass (grouper) all the way.

I'm not the best at IDing groupers. I would assume anything that isn't a v-tail to get very big. Blue spot is a great fish. The one I took care of was long past the 4" mark by the time I saw it, so I didn't see it as a juvie.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back