Questions regarding quarantine

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am gonna be getting some new fish such as tangs, butterflies and a grouper

But I currently only have a 10 gallon quarantine tank, will they all fit in?

I do have a 15 gallon unused sump which I can connect the 10 gallon to buy I have to make some keen adjustments to fit them all in, so would a 10 gallon suit them all?

Also, would just treating them with metronidazole and praziquantel for about a week or two be enough? Since those are the only medications I have besides another medication like ruby rally pro.
The fish i am gonna be getting is a sailfin tang, yellow tail mimic tang, lined butterfly, threadfin butterfly, red spotted or black spotted grouper, though if it's too much, i can cancel the threadfin butterfly for now

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to answer the initial question, no, I can’t visualize a 10g working ( how big is that grouper?)
…I used general cure and copper safe per recommendations here on R2R …
I’ve heard Praziquantel used as well for QT

hopefully the heavy hitters on R2R will clarify with better details

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to answer the initial question, no, I can’t visualize it working
…I used general cure and copper safe per recommendations here on R2R …
hopefully the heavy hitters on R2R will clarify
General cure is a mixture of praziquantel and metronidazole, so i see them working for a broad range of external and internal parasites aswell as flukes, i see that groupers often come with flukes so my first thought was of praziquantel and metronidazole, and i would guess that ruby rally pro would be able to treat ich? I can't be dosing copper since the tank these fishes are gonna go in has a eel

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve no experience with Rally Pro, I have some now but I’ve heard it garbage…dunno
I’ve used “Medic” + peroxide but I don’t have a dose or procedure to give with any confidence
I’d dose the copper during quarantine …somewhere there is a “ fast” 2 week quarantine protocol involving General cure followed by copper ….. Not as effective but thats what I do along with 2 UV filters in the qt tank
General cure is a mixture of praziquantel and metronidazole, so i see them working for a broad range of external and internal parasites aswell as flukes, i see that groupers often come with flukes so my first thought was of praziquantel and metronidazole, and i would guess that ruby rally pro would be able to treat ich? I can't be dosing copper since the tank these fishes are gonna go in has a eel

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All those fish at once? I don't like that idea, mostly for ammonia reasons.
General cure is a mixture of praziquantel and metronidazole, so i see them working for a broad range of external and internal parasites aswell as flukes, i see that groupers often come with flukes so my first thought was of praziquantel and metronidazole, and i would guess that ruby rally pro would be able to treat ich?
General Cure is Prazi + Metro, yes. It should cover worms, including flukes. Best practice for those worms is to do one treatment, then wait 8 days and do another to cover worms that hadn't hatched earlier.

Ruby is formalin and some proprietary stuff. Whatever that is worth to you.

Neither would do a good job of covering you for ich or velvet, which is what copper would be for.
I can't be dosing copper since the tank these fishes are gonna go in has a eel
You could use it in a QT before fishes go into a display.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All those fish at once? I don't like that idea, mostly for ammonia reasons.

General Cure is Prazi + Metro, yes. It should cover worms, including flukes. Best practice for those worms is to do one treatment, then wait 8 days and do another to cover worms that hadn't hatched earlier.

Ruby is formalin and some proprietary stuff. Whatever that is worth to you.

Neither would do a good job of covering you for ich or velvet, which is what copper would be for.

You could use it in a QT before fishes go into a display.
Oh, i am just afraid that the fish might leech copper into the display tank, effecting the eel, as for the ammonia, i have some fine media from a established tank, the tanks been running for atleast a year with the media being about 2 - 3 months, since I usually discard the fine media, I might just use it for the quarantine tank, what do you think?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am gonna be getting some new fish such as tangs, butterflies and a grouper

But I currently only have a 10 gallon quarantine tank, will they all fit in?

I do have a 15 gallon unused sump which I can connect the 10 gallon to buy I have to make some keen adjustments to fit them all in, so would a 10 gallon suit them all?

Also, would just treating them with metronidazole and praziquantel for about a week or two be enough? Since those are the only medications I have besides another medication like ruby rally pro.
The fish i am gonna be getting is a sailfin tang, yellow tail mimic tang, lined butterfly, threadfin butterfly, red spotted or black spotted grouper, though if it's too much, i can cancel the threadfin butterfly for now
I recommend a 40 breeder and at Petco for one dollar a gallon sale

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend a 40 breeder and at Petco for one dollar a gallon sale
Thanks for the suggestion but I live in india, so here, there's no petco, neither have I seen one, the only way to get aquarium's here, is by preordering or get away with standard size's, though here, people don't see the amount of water a tank hold's, they just see how long or high the tank is, so getting a proper 40 gallon is difficult, unless I build one or pre order

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are having a hard time getting larger sized tanks, where will you store the fish once the qt period is over? 10 gallons is too small to quarantine any fish larger than 2 or 3", I suggest you decrease your order of fish and try to get a larger tank to do qt, also if you intend to get all that fish, you might get a medicine with copper for your quarantine, just my opinion.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hum. Ive used ruby rally in my DT with my two eels and theyve never had any issues with it and my fish seemed to recover. But he is a blue tang and seems like he has a random ich outbreak once in a while that none of my other fish get. If that helps, I also dont like the idea of a 10 gal QT for all those fish since theyre big poopers!

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might just use the 15 gallon sump, since it has 4 compartments i can place 4 fish in each one, i hope it works out, though what kind of filtration should I use? I only have about 2 or 3 hang in the back filtrations so, should I use all of them?

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
If you are having a hard time getting larger sized tanks, where will you store the fish once the qt period is over? 10 gallons is too small to quarantine any fish larger than 2 or 3", I suggest you decrease your order of fish and try to get a larger tank to do qt, also if you intend to get all that fish, you might get a medicine with copper for your quarantine, just my opinion.
Already pre ordered the glass I am gonna be making the 130 - 140 gallon tank with, so I am just gonna be quarantining the fish till the new tank is built

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might just use the 15 gallon sump, since it has 4 compartments i can place 4 fish in each one, i hope it works out, though what kind of filtration should I use? I only have about 2 or 3 hang in the back filtrations so, should I use all of them?
Yes if this is your only option. Maybe see of you can get one or two in the order, QT, then maybe order another smaller batch?

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes if this is your only option. Maybe see of you can get one or two in the order, QT, then maybe order another smaller batch?
If only I could order smaller batches, I can mostly order about 3 to 4 fish at once, that's the minimum requirement of the store,

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only I could order smaller batches, I can mostly order about 3 to 4 fish at once, that's the minimum requirement of the store,
Oof okay yeah thats a pickle. Are these going in with the tessa??

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hum. Ive used ruby rally in my DT with my two eels and theyve never had any issues with it and my fish seemed to recover. But he is a blue tang and seems like he has a random ich outbreak once in a while that none of my other fish get. If that helps, I also dont like the idea of a 10 gal QT for all those fish since theyre big poopers!
Thanks for the info, i can definitely see the grouper being the one giving out the largest pooper

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oof okay yeah thats a pickle. Are these going in with the tessa??
Ohhhhh nooooo, hellll nahhh, i am gonna be making a 130-140 gallon tank serparate, the eel which got bitten by my Tessy last time is getting a tank upgrade! I would be one crazy ******* to put them in the tesses tank haha

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhhh nooooo, hellll nahhh, i am gonna be making a 130-140 gallon tank serparate, the eel which got bitten by my Tessy last time is getting a tank upgrade! I would be one crazy ******* to put them in the tesses tank haha
Lol thats why I thought I would ask!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back