Red louti skunk grouper care/info

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had recently taken a skunk louti grouper, it's about 2 inches, I couldn't find much information regarding them since I had some question's so any help would be much appreciated

What is their growth rate?.

What do they eat as juvenile's?.

Do they really grow to about 32 inches in captivity? (I really doubt it but just wanted to confirm).

Can I keep two grouper's together? (The last time I did that i learned through experience that i couldn't, but, is it possible?)

Are the skunk louti and miniatus grouper's related? (Google often shows the picture of a miniatus instead of a skunk louti which seems a bit confusing)

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is their growth rate?.
There may be some major differences in population growth dependent on location (or rather location-based populations), but the link above should give a general idea of growth (they should hit ~25 cm by 3 years old, and ~35 cm by 5 years old; their growth should slow drastically around ~40 cm).
What do they eat as juvenile's?.
I can't find any specific info on that, so I'd assume probably the same things they reported eat as adults - fish and crustaceans.
Do they really grow to about 32 inches in captivity? (I really doubt it but just wanted to confirm).
Typically, fish in captivity don't grow to their wild maximum size - IIRC, the estimate most people use is ~80% of their max size (so probably ~26" max for captivity); based on the link above, though, I'd expect your fish may stay below 18" in length for pretty much forever (again, though, some populations of this fish may grow larger than the one sampled from Guam above).
Can I keep two grouper's together? (The last time I did that i learned through experience that i couldn't, but, is it possible?)
I'm not sure on this one - sorry.
Are the skunk louti and miniatus grouper's related? (Google often shows the picture of a miniatus instead of a skunk louti which seems a bit confusing)
The Red Louti Grouper (A.K.A. the Yellow-edged Lyretail) is Variola louti - the Miniatus Grouper/Coral Grouper/Coral Cod/Coral Hind/Etc. is Cephalopholis miniata.

They're different species from different genera, but they're from the same taxonomic subfamily, Epinephelinae. So, they're not closely related, but they are relatively closely related.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There may be some major differences in population growth dependent on location (or rather location-based populations), but the link above should give a general idea of growth (they should hit ~25 cm by 3 years old, and ~35 cm by 5 years old; their growth should slow drastically around ~40 cm).

I can't find any specific info on that, so I'd assume probably the same things they reported eat as adults - fish and crustaceans.

Typically, fish in captivity don't grow to their wild maximum size - IIRC, the estimate most people use is ~80% of their max size (so probably ~26" max for captivity); based on the link above, though, I'd expect your fish may stay below 18" in length for pretty much forever (again, though, some populations of this fish may grow larger than the one sampled from Guam above).

I'm not sure on this one - sorry.

The Red Louti Grouper (A.K.A. the Yellow-edged Lyretail) is Variola louti - the Miniatus Grouper/Coral Grouper/Coral Cod/Coral Hind/Etc. is Cephalopholis miniata.

They're different species from different genera, but they're from the same taxonomic subfamily, Epinephelinae. So, they're not closely related, but they are relatively closely related.
Thank you so much for the information, it's such a great help! I apologise for not saying this sooner

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 52 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back