Let Me ID Your Wrasse!

  • Thread starter Thread starter evolved
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I bought this little guy as a "misc. wrasse". I'm thinking Tonos Fairy but I'm not sure. He's still pretty camera shy but I managed to get a halfway descent pic. What do you think?
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 230
So I bought this little guy as a "misc. wrasse". I'm thinking Tonos Fairy but I'm not sure. He's still pretty camera shy but I managed to get a halfway descent pic. What do you think?
Looks like a Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis to me.
 
Thanks. I would have to agree.
 
ID please. No one I have spoken to can give me an ID. Love this little guy.
 

Attachments

  • 20150513_162742.jpg
    20150513_162742.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 298
just got this little guy. cant tell if its Cirrhilabrus lanceolatus or Cirrhilabrus cf. lanceolatus . any help is welcome!

Untitled by Ivan Camacho, on Flickr

Untitled by Ivan Camacho, on Flickr
Neither C. lanceolatus or cf. lanceolatus, but instead C. roseafascia. It is more similar to lanceolatus in size and temperament, just not as rare.
 
ID please. No one I have spoken to can give me an ID. Love this little guy.
It's not a hog, it is a Cheilinus species, most likely C. orientalis, but could be species 1 as well.
 
just got this little guy. cant tell if its Cirrhilabrus lanceolatus or Cirrhilabrus cf. lanceolatus . any help is welcome!

Untitled by Ivan Camacho, on Flickr

Untitled by Ivan Camacho, on Flickr
Neither C. lanceolatus or cf. lanceolatus, but instead C. roseafascia. It is more similar to lanceolatus in size and temperament, just not as rare.
Exactly; roseafascia. If it was lanceolatus, you would have paid four figures. :)
 
What was the give away? I read descriptions but all they do is confuse me... Haha
The fact you were unsure is a good indication... haha.

But the real tell-tale between the two are the spots on the pelvic fins. Lanceolatus has the dark spots at the anterior edges.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new