Status
Not open for further replies.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for answering all those. I had a feeling the black one you identified as a false cleaner was not a good candidate for an aquarium.

Any experience with the Thicklip wrasse?

Any notable differences in disposition or hardiness between the H. melanarus, argus, marginatus, hoeveni and chrysotaenia? Seems like they all look pretty similar. I'm curious if one or more of this species is more or less desirable (other than subjective appearances).
Thicklip wrasses get big, buut grow slow. They are peaceful, but will eat motile inverts. When they get bigger they may flip small corals and rocks.

Hoevani is a junior synonym of melanurus. It was descrided as a seperate species because males and females look so different.

Of the species list marginatus is the most aggressive, melanurus and chrysotaenia are a little less aggressive than marginatus, and argus is slightly less aggressive than those 2.

Ben jammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better pictures now. 2 of each. Still think H. argus and H. marginatus? Or is the first one chrysotaenia? How do you distinguish those species?
a452158aad0aa60215d2d6a1014561af.jpg
7fdd4ae1a83a5ef450707e4e93de2fd4.jpg
a66daf61ddce90a0e79eb8bf051c1b72.jpg
59e9d8b9cc899c632b5b7a2694e7a3ca.jpg

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or is the first one chrysotaenia? How do you distinguish those species?
H. argus. The markings on the head & gill plates are notably different. (and the tail pattern too)

Ben jammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. The first is from Live Aquaria and came as a Vrolik's, which is the name they use for chrysotaenia, but I think I've seen you mention that some of their wrasses are mislabeled.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. The first is from Live Aquaria and came as a Vrolik's, which is the name they use for chrysotaenia, but I think I've seen you mention that some of their wrasses are mislabeled.
LA shipments (excluding DD) come straight from Quality Marine, who is usually pretty good about getting IDs correct. All wholesalers make mistakes though.

And fwiw, I'd rather have argus over chrysotaenia. :)

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They must have a new guy at QM doing wrasses. LOL. About a month ago I got a melanurus that was labeled as a chrysotaenia.

Reactions: BYU

Ben jammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is H. papilionaceus.

Yeah, as I was looking up info on marginatus I was thinking this was not a match. Papilionaceus seems to be right, though there does not seem to be very much info on it other than it's common name is weed wrasse and it comes from the Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea (two of my favorite diving and cultural destinations ever). I like rare finds like this, even if no one who sees my tank will ever know!

I don't know that I've ever seen a Vrolik's in person, but I definitely like the argus a lot. Really pretty color pattern. Got both these guys in an acclimation box for a few days along with a small marble and dragon, hoping that I can get them eating well and that when I release them my quinquevittatum won't be able to focus on any one of them and will just give up and leave them all alone!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's stressed, but appears to be Macropharyngodon moyeri.
Yeah, as I was looking up info on marginatus I was thinking this was not a match. Papilionaceus seems to be right, though there does not seem to be very much info on it other than it's common name is weed wrasse and it comes from the Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea (two of my favorite diving and cultural destinations ever). I like rare finds like this, even if no one who sees my tank will ever know!

I don't know that I've ever seen a Vrolik's in person, but I definitely like the argus a lot. Really pretty color pattern. Got both these guys in an acclimation box for a few days along with a small marble and dragon, hoping that I can get them eating well and that when I release them my quinquevittatum won't be able to focus on any one of them and will just give up and leave them all alone!
I would strongly recommend not putting the juvenile hortulanus, argus and the papilionaceus in the tank with the quinquevittatum. Thalassoma wrasses have a strong dislike toward smaller, more peaceful wrasses.

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's stressed, but appears to be Macropharyngodon moyeri.

I would strongly recommend not putting the juvenile hortulanus, argus and the papilionaceus in the tank with the quinquevittatum. Thalassoma wrasses have a strong dislike toward smaller, more peaceful wrasses.
Thank you

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with M. moyeri.
Got both these guys in an acclimation box for a few days along with a small marble and dragon, hoping that I can get them eating well and that when I release them my quinquevittatum won't be able to focus on any one of them and will just give up and leave them all alone!
I strongly agree! Thalassoma wrasses are all but incompatible with other wrasses, especially quinquevittatum. At best it will remove the eyes of the other wrasses, and at worst partially eat them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back