Lethargic Anthias - no other visible symptoms

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you’ve definitely put the effort in. I don’t have any experience QT’ng Anthias and only know what I see at my LFS, and what I’ve read about it. Despite reading multiple accounts where folks have kept a single male happily, I’m starting to wonder if it’s just one of those fish who frets or doesn’t eat by itself when not in a school or group like a PBT, or Moorish, or certain butterflies often do. I figured being in the presence of other fish as opposed to alone in QT would help.

He comes out of hiding but you can tell he wants out. Swims up looking at the corners, or against the glass, makes me sad and a bit guilty. Had I known they were this finicky I would probably not have given one a shot. His behavior is more akin to a lazy Goby who occasionally swims up the glass from time to time.

Yeah I have the same exact feelings. If I can find a group of females for sale I may purchase them. Makes me worried as I was looking to do a tank size increase and trying to hand feed him in a much larger tank may not work out well. Plus I already run into issues with my tank sitter not being able to reach him depending on his location so sadly he misses some feedings if I'm not around.

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have the same exact feelings. If I can find a group of females for sale I may purchase them. Makes me worried as I was looking to do a tank size increase and trying to hand feed him in a much larger tank may not work out well. Plus I already run into issues with my tank sitter not being able to reach him depending on his location so sadly he misses some feedings if I'm not around.

Yeah that’s a tricky situation. Mine has slowly ventured out more and more each day I’ve had it, and it was a shipped fish so I’m just going to leave everything alone, continue to feed a variety of foods, keep the QT clean and cross my fingers that he settles down so I can really fatten him up and make sure he’s healthy. I did see signs of internal parasites on day 1 (which I’ve read Anthias are notorious for) and possibly a little ich on the fins so I’m just going to proceed with treatment and hope for the best.

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update from my side. I moved all my fish into the dt on Sunday after going through copper, prazi, and metro, and freshwater dip. First day the anthias was scared and hiding behind the algae scrapper playing dead, now he has slowly started to wander around one side of the tank on the sand. And today he slowly started coming out and showing interest in food (was hard to tell if he ate anything or not). TBD, but appears to be turning up.

Also he went 3.5 weeks without eating (at least that I saw), rather impressive and good thing he was nice and fat before this all started.

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update from my side. I moved all my fish into the dt on Sunday after going through copper, prazi, and metro, and freshwater dip. First day the anthias was scared and hiding behind the algae scrapper playing dead, now he has slowly started to wander around one side of the tank on the sand. And today he slowly started coming out and showing interest in food (was hard to tell if he ate anything or not). TBD, but appears to be turning up.

Also he went 3.5 weeks without eating (at least that I saw), rather impressive and good thing he was nice and fat before this all started.

Wow. I can’t believe it went through all those meds without eating. Mine isn’t eating either and has stopped coming out altogether the last couple of days. I’ve tried frozen mysis, cyclopeze, live blackworms, small sustainable aquatics pellets (which everything eats) and easyreef mastick loaded with selcon and vitamins. The other fish are eating but not as aggressive as I’d like, they’re still a little skittish. Going to try some different selcon soaked pellets today, and some live brine. If live brine and live blackworms don’t work, I got nothin’. ‍♂️

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck for you guys getting yours to eat? Now mine sits in the rock all day, he will come out during feedings and looks interested, but won’t eat the food (which he used to love)

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck for you guys getting yours to eat? Now mine sits in the rock all day, he will come out during feedings and looks interested, but won’t eat the food (which he used to love)

Mine just started taking PE mysis soaked in selcon a couple days ago. It’s still hiding but will pop out to grab pieces off the bottom so not all is lost yet [emoji1360]

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back