Copperband was doing great.. overnight change

Sean Norman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Copperband for about a month now. He came from Marine Collectors and immediately was eating PE. I kept him in an acclimation box in the DT for 8 days watching him eat and letting the two Tangs get over him. Once in the DT h kept to himself a little chasing at night by the Tangs, but it was over pretty quick. He would wait for food, chase food out into the tank and ate everything I put in. H got clams on the shell once a week and I would add paste to a rock for him. Last night... would not eat. He was lethargic and I easily caught him and moved him to a QT. I added a clam and tried some frozen bloodworms.. no feeding response. It is like he cannot even see the food.. no feeding response. I did add some Prazi to QT to see if it is a parasitic issue. He does appear to be breathing faster- but I tested DT and nothing has changed.. no ammonia and everyone else is acting and eating normal. Not sure what to do??

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had my Copperband for about a month now. He came from Marine Collectors and immediately was eating PE. I kept him in an acclimation box in the DT for 8 days watching him eat and letting the two Tangs get over him. Once in the DT h kept to himself a little chasing at night by the Tangs, but it was over pretty quick. He would wait for food, chase food out into the tank and ate everything I put in. H got clams on the shell once a week and I would add paste to a rock for him. Last night... would not eat. He was lethargic and I easily caught him and moved him to a QT. I added a clam and tried some frozen bloodworms.. no feeding response. It is like he cannot even see the food.. no feeding response. I did add some Prazi to QT to see if it is a parasitic issue. He does appear to be breathing faster- but I tested DT and nothing has changed.. no ammonia and everyone else is acting and eating normal. Not sure what to do??
Had you happened to add anything else in the last month? Could you share a picture?

Sudden changes like this in one fish as compared to all of them - and no changes in corals, etc - suggests a disease. Did you quarantine this fish? (I don't know if your source does - or what protocol they use)? Am I understanding correctly that you have the fish in a separate tank (which is great) - I would make sure the aeration is increased - and carefully follow ammonia. If breathing is fast, it could suggest velvet - but in only one fish that would be odd. Please give any more information you have and hope this helps

OP
OP
S

Sean Norman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had you happened to add anything else in the last month? Could you share a picture?

Sudden changes like this in one fish as compared to all of them - and no changes in corals, etc - suggests a disease. Did you quarantine this fish? (I don't know if your source does - or what protocol they use)? Am I understanding correctly that you have the fish in a separate tank (which is great) - I would make sure the aeration is increased - and carefully follow ammonia. If breathing is fast, it could suggest velvet - but in only one fish that would be odd. Please give any more information you have and hope this helps
Marin Collectors has a pretty legit QT process. I have bought multiple fish from them with no issues- so I did not QT the fish. No other changes and nothing new added to the tank recently. I do have aeration going in the QT with him. I will change water everyday to manage ammonia. I will try and get a pic and post. No discernible changes in appearance. He appears lethargic and almost drunk.. moving slowly, tilting downward.. not responding to me adding the worms or the clam.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Marin Collectors has a pretty legit QT process. I have bought multiple fish from them with no issues- so I did not QT the fish. No other changes and nothing new added to the tank recently. I do have aeration going in the QT with him. I will change water everyday to manage ammonia. I will try and get a pic and post. No discernible changes in appearance. He appears lethargic and almost drunk.. moving slowly, tilting downward.. not responding to me adding the worms or the clam.
I suppose it could be due to an acclimation process - however very unlikely due to the length of time you've had it. I do not want to disparage a vendor - however, It would be helpful if you could verify their QT process.

EDIT - and - it may be that something in your tank not from the vendor has affected your fish (i.e. a disease that the other fish are relatively immune to). Could also be a toxin in the food used for the copper band (if it is eating a special diet)

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sean Norman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has been eating the same with all the others.. so far they all seem fine. I am going to look closely to see if I see any visual changes. I am not sure he would survive a freshwater bath( if it is Velvet). All the other fish are long time members of the tank.. no changes with them. Marine Collectors is a high end business and they do a complete QT with medications and ensure the fish are eating and in good shape. Like I said.. it was literally overnight...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He has been eating the same with all the others.. so far they all seem fine. I am going to look closely to see if I see any visual changes. I am not sure he would survive a freshwater bath( if it is Velvet). All the other fish are long time members of the tank.. no changes with them. Marine Collectors is a high end business and they do a complete QT with medications and ensure the fish are eating and in good shape. Like I said.. it was literally overnight...
In my post above - I meant to say 'collection process' i.e. could it have been collected with cyanide or some other issue, instead of 'acclimation process'.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dont believe acclimation and before any suggestions, please provide pics, preferably video under white light intensity for best assessment
Prazi will treat worms, not parasites and until an assessment can be made, I would refrain from adding any treatments
Is breathing heavy or normal ?
What is ammonia and nitrate level in current tank its in?

OP
OP
S

Sean Norman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont believe acclimation and before any suggestions, please provide pics, preferably video under white light intensity for best assessment
Prazi will treat worms, not parasites and until an assessment can be made, I would refrain from adding any treatments
Is breathing heavy or normal ?
What is ammonia and nitrate level in current tank its in?
I will get some video. Breathing seems slightly elevated, but not labored. Ammonia-0
Nitrate 8 ppm

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I will get some video. Breathing seems slightly elevated, but not labored. Ammonia-0
Nitrate 8 ppm
How are you testing?
Labored breathing and cloudy eyes suggest water or disease but pics will help when you get the chance

OP
OP
S

Sean Norman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you testing?
Labored breathing and cloudy eyes suggest water or disease but pics will help when you get the chance
I am using a Hannah Marine Systems unit. All my other fish are acting normal. Eyes seem normal, but it does not have a feeding response.. which makes we wonder if it can even see it. I do not think it is Ammonia or Nitrate.. I would see changes in my coral and shrimp and other fish.

OP
OP
S

Sean Norman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a Hannah Marine Systems unit. All my other fish are acting normal. Eyes seem normal, but it does not have a feeding response.. which makes we wonder if it can even see it. I do not think it is Ammonia or Nitrate.. I would see changes in my coral and shrimp and other fish.

OP
OP
S

Sean Norman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try again.

Attachments

• IMG_7674.mov
    33.1 MB

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You stated that the Copperband was fully quarantined but what about the other fish in your system? Even though you have had them for awhile the copperband could be weakened from going through Quarantine and susceptible to something already in your tank that the other fish handle/tolerate.

OP
OP
S

Sean Norman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my other fish were all fully QT'd and have been in the tank for years. No issues with any of them, no abnormal behavior, no visible issues. The last new fish was two years ago, a Wrasse that came from the same place. I have not lost any fish either in that time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back