Lethargic Clownfish

adamf83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of clownfish, had them since April 2019 and today the smaller one has become lethargic, sticking to the corners of the tank, not really making much effort to move.

The bigger one has been poking and prodding it and at times it has darted across the tank, but usually they are a very active pair. The fact that it can dart across the tank, makes me wonder if it’s not sick in anyway, but I’m not sure.

Its breathing looks ok, it’s not fast from what I can tell. It wasn’t really interested in eating just now, normally it’s chasing the food, this time it preferred the food to come to it.

I had a similar issue with the bigger clown a few months ago, but put this down to higher than usual tank temperatures as it was just after we’d had a heatwave in the UK.

Water Params are stable, no ammonia, nitrites, nitrates at 16, phosphate at 0.1.

Any advice would be welcome.

OP
OP
A

adamf83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home this evening, I couldn’t see the clown and I’ve since found it hiding under a rock.

It‘s still breathing, but I’m now wondering if it’s in fact laying eggs because it‘s moved a lot of sand around the 2 corners of the tank, now it’s just hiding under a rock.

OP
OP
A

adamf83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be nesting behavior.
Any change in appearance? Appetite still fine when the food comes to it?
Appetite is a little off.. normally, it would chase the food. Now it’s waiting for the food to float by, darted out from under the rock to grab what it can, then went right back under.

Hard to say about the appearance at the moment. If it comes out from under the rock, I’ll try and get a look.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if the other clown is bullying it.

OP
OP
A

adamf83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have there been any recent additions to the tank?
None. Just went to check on it, it’s now out from under the rock, on the sandbed at the back of the tank. It spent most of yesterday flicking up the sand in that corner.

Who knows what’s going on....

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back