Let's see those gorgeous looking ''Surgeonfish''

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to write a quick article on some of the tangs I have had in the past! Also, wanted to touch base and go over some of my favorite species that are out in the sea! Let me tell you - How times have changed with prices w/ these beautiful species that are in the sea. I am already seeing spikes on the market for Yellow Tangs, Purple Tangs, Chevron Tangs, Achilles Tangs, Naso Tangs, which have skyrocketed. As we all know this gorgeous-looking Yellow surgeonfish name comes from the blade-like structures found near their tails. There are one or two of these on each side of the tail area, although they're much smaller on some species than others. Some can also fold flush with the body, like little switchblade knives, while others are in a fixed position. When annoyed, rather than nibbling or biting each other, two surgeons will slap each other repeatedly with their tails and with their little scalpels. They may stick/cut each other, but the damage is typically light and not life-threatening.

I have been in this hobby now for over 25 years and have been an Advanced Diver that has logged over 250 dives around the world. There is something about the way 'Surgeonfish'' swims in my opinion, its fascinating to me how they actually just glide through the currents in a tank and also in there own natural environments on a reef it's something very special to see. Also, your typical Surgeonfishes are a good-looking bunch for the most part, with only a few species that aren't nicely colored or at least covered with some sort of neat patterning. The pictures make that easy to see, of course, but being pretty is nothing particularly special when it comes to marine fishes. However, many surgeons stand apart from other fishes because of their personalities, which is one of the things I've always liked most about them. Like dogs that become obviously excited to see their human come home, various surgeons are often the first fishes to dart to the front pane of glass and dance around when you enter the room, even when many other fishes seem oblivious to your presence. To tell the truth, if I've ever seen a fish look genuinely happy to see me, it would have to be a surgeon. Many of them really do remind me of little aquatic dogs with their attitudes and antics :) Please note that Tangs often change colors to some degree, and can get much lighter or darker at times. It's quite common for them to lighten considerably at night over their whole body, but even during the day individuals of some species can look very different. Here you can see both dark and light-colored Atlantic blue tangs, all of which are apparently healthy.

image_preview

Surgeons are also about as invertebrate-safe as a family of fishes can be. After running an aquarium maintenance business for 3 years and being in the hobby for over twenty years, I can recall maybe 1 time becoming a problem for corals/reef aquarium.

A diet of foods like algae-packed cubes, Spirulina or other quality marine flakes, Gracilaria, nori (sushi wrap made of seaweed), and kombu (dried kelp) is best, and they'll usually tear this stuff up and eat until they look like they'd burst if given the opportunity. Do make sure to buy unseasoned/untreated types if you get nori/kombu at the grocery though, as you don't want to add any sorts of additives, preservatives, etc. Of course, surgeons will also find some food for themselves in most tanks, as well, as they'll graze over glass and rock surfaces picking at whatever grows there. If you aren't having a very, very serious algae problem, this won't be enough to keep the healthy, though. Thus, you should feed them daily at the very least, and two or three times daily if possible. In the wild they poke around all day nibbling here and there, so as is the case with most herbivorous fishes, eating one big meal a day (or even less frequently) is not what they are used to at all. Most will also eat lettuce, spinach, broccoli, and other greens but their favorite food is either romaine lettuce, which is very commonly used to feed them. If frozen or boiled first and then added to an aquarium it gets very soft and most tangs will gobble it up. But, they may eat it, and eat it, and eat it, and gain little, if any weight. Thus, it's probably much better to either not bother with this stuff or to use it as part of a mixed diet. The other veggies should also only be part of a mixed-diet, as well. These are not what a tang relies on in the wild, so they should not be the only foods given in aquariums.

If you own any Surgeonfish, I would highly recommend buying the IM Gourmet Grazer. Then your surgeon-fish can just graze all day.

209621_im_gourmetgrazer-a.jpg

As far as what I personally put in my Gourmet Grazer is Nori that you can get at your local supermarket which a lot of people don't realize it. It may look different but I just wanted to post an illustration as an example of what it looks like.

nori-jpg.29486

Instead of ordering the Reef-Nutrition container you can SAVE A LOT OF MONEY and head over to your local supermarket and buy just plain old Nori which is the same exact thing that Reef-Nutrition sells in a container for around 5.00 vs getting 10 times more if you get it from your grocery store.

Also, would like to get into a little about the Purple Tang, Zebrasoma xanthurum: These may get a little bigger than the yellow or Scopas tangs, possibly reaching almost 8''. They also tend to be much more aggressive towards other fishes and other tangs in particular. So much so that many hobbyists don't like them, regardless of their regal colors. Also, there are not cheap and ranging anywhere fro $99.99 for a Juvi and $199 for an adult.

(Adult Zebrasoma xanthurum)
6348_grande.jpeg

Another Favorite of mine if the Powder Blue Tang; This gorgeous tang is another one of my favorites, although they're known for not being very hardy and often do not fare well during the collection/shipping process. If you can get a healthy one, they're great though and have a maximum size of about 9 inches but that takes over years to grow to an Adult stage. I owned a Juvi in my 120 and after about 5 years, it was time to give him a bigger home.. It was one of my favorite tangs since it kept the peace and never was aggressive even to its own family of Surgeon-fish. I haven't found them to be particularly pretty Als0 these TANGS are some of the least hardy of the tangs . As far as price they are ranging from price anywhere from $100-$200.00

Acanthurus leucosternon:
upload_2019-1-23_7-33-42.png

Another favorite of mine is the Achilles Tang: For a fish that's mostly dark brown to black, these are somehow still quite beautiful and can grow quite larger over the years.. Unfortunately, opinions vary when it comes to their aggressiveness!! Als0 these TANGS are some of the least hardy of the tangs in my experience these guys can be relatively picky eaters too, making recovery difficult. Also, they are not cheap ranging from $299.00 up to $350.00

upload_2019-1-23_7-38-50.png

My next favorite would have to be a beautiful Sohal Tang, which must have a lot of room to swim or they will di.. If I have to pick a single most aggressive species, it's this one. I've known more than one hobbyist that regretting adding this fish to their tank, as sohals can reach a full size of almost 12 -15 inches and have been known to outright kill other fishes that it doesn't care for. So, this one should only be kept in very large tanks, with tankmates that can fend for themselves. Michael (2001) says they'll even attack parrotfishes and triggerfishes in the wild!
Acanthurus sohal
upload_2019-1-23_7-50-55.png

Can't forget the Pacific Blue Tang, Also known as the regal, or hippo tang, these can get up to just over 12'' very quick in length, and are the weirdest acting of the tangs for sure. They're usually very peaceful, but they have a strange habit of wedging themselves into crevices or just laying on their sides when it's time to go to sleep. Other than that, they can, unfortunately, be very shy/skittish at times, leading to the great frustration of many hobbyists. If you have to have one, try to spot one that is actually out and about, eating rather than trying to hide.

Paracanthurus hepatus
upload_2019-1-23_7-53-23.png

Last but not least my favorite specie which is the Chevron Tang, This is certainly a gorgeous fish when small, but they can reach a full size of 11 inches and end up looking quite dark looking ones hitting the adult stage. They just get darker and darker until they end up being dark brown with faint, lighter lines. While generally non-aggressive and hardy enough, they do get big, lose their looks, and are typically around the $150.00 to $200.00 dollar rage:

120 mixed reef.PNG

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, yes, tangs are my favorite family of reef fishes. Have had many over the years. Currently have 12 across my system: all the zebrasomas (gem, black, purple, yellow, sailfin, scopas), regal, chevron, zebra and convict, and two naso. I also have an achilles in QT, but I may not be able to add it since getting it immune to ich is proving problematic.

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Atlantic Blue and Clown. (Acanthurus coeruleus and Acanthurus lineatus respectively)

IMG_1413.jpg

@Eagle_Steve,
Oh, yes, tangs are my favorite family of reef fishes. Have had many over the years. Currently have 12 across my system: all the zebrasomas (gem, black, purple, yellow, sailfin, scopas), regal, chevron, zebra and convict, and two naso. I also have an achilles in QT, but I may not be able to add it since getting it immune to ich is proving problematic.

@Eagle_Steve , Is that a Black longnose tang b/c they are right around $900 to thousand bucks? Would you be so kind and care to share the list of all of the tangs and how you were able to add them all in your display without them fighting and going crazy??? MUCH APPRECIATED..

Thanks,
FLSharkvcictim

Last edited:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve,

@Eagle_Steve , Is that a Black longnose tang b/c they are right around $900 to thousand bucks? Would you be so kind and care to share the list of all of the tangs and how you were able to add them all in your display without them fighting and going crazy??? MUCH APPRECIATED..

Thanks,
FLSharkvcictim
It is an Atlantic Blue Tang that has been with me since it was super small and yellow. The lights were ramping down when the pic was taken, so it looks black. It is a really dark blue though, especially when compared to the metallic lines on the clown tang.

As for adding tangs, I have always had luck if they are all added at the same time and all are small. My Clown Tang is the boss of the tank, but not aggressive. Well it is boss if the clowns are chilling in their nems. The clown tang and the Atlantic Blue swim together almost all the time, they sleep in the same cave, leaned right up against each other, and are funny when they eat and share. I need to get a video of it, as the clown tang will grab a chunk of graciliria eat some, carry it towards the Atlantic blue, let go and then the Atlantic Blue eats some, and carries it back.

Previously I have had numerous other tangs, all added together when small and they did fine. I do have to say, that one thing I noticed is to make sure they are well fed and always have something to graze on in different places in the tank. My fuges in all my tanks have graciliria and cheato, and the graciliria has always been fed to the tangs with nori in my DIY feeders. I also use seaweed clips, but not so much anymore since I made the DIY feeders to sit on the sandbed and rocks, so they actually graze and not hover around a clip on the glass. A good example of well fed, is when I went out of town for a few weeks and the wife was feeding. I had a Naso, Yellow, Clown, Scopas, and a Kole all in the same tank doing fine. She slacked and only fed once a day, and kept forgetting to put nori on the clips and in the feeders. I got a call everyone was chasing each other and trying to "Tail Bump" the others. ("Tail Bump" equaled Scalpels coming out and fights about to ensue). I went over the basics and all was good, and then asked here to send a pic of them. Well in the FTS, I noticed all clips were empty, as were the DIY feeders. Explained the food thing, she did better with that, and all was well as soon as they had all clips and feeders full. Those fish are now in my dads 220 due to a move, and are fat, happy, and still nice to each other as long as food is there for them. He wont give them back either lol.

I will say that in the next few months it is going to get interesting with tangs. I was in the process of setting up a 500g display that was going to be tang heavy, but that got postponed due to a roof leak during a bad storm. Now I have to remodel the area where the tank was going, but that's a good thing as insurance covered it all, and with walls and such having to come down and be replaced, I can focus the area more for the tank. So once all of that is done, the 500g will be getting setup (and all the friggin rock out of a feed trough in my garage with 5 heaters in the trough to keep it warm lol) and the fun of finding a ton of small tangs to QT and combine in a DT will begin. Not to mention the 10 or so small tanks I have in my office plumbed to a single sump with all the corals I bought ahead of time to run them through QT lol.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a Black longnose tang b/c they are right around $900 to thousand bucks? Would you be so kind and care to share the list of all of the tangs and how you were able to add them all in your display without them fighting and going crazy??? MUCH APPRECIATED.

Were you asking me?

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fishfinder - That Acanthurus achilles is a real beauty!!!!

It's
one of my favorite Tangs the Achilles, but the Spike in price is off the charts due to how many then can export from the pacific islands.
I believe the #Achilles start out at $299.00. Many when I use to work at my LFS we use to have these for $99.99 for juveniles back in the day.
Those were the days, let me tell you. Where did you get him from and what do you pay for your Achilles Surgeon-fish if you dontr mind me asking ? Also, care to share some more picture of your Acanthurus achilles?

Did you also now that the Achilles tang was the newest entry into the annals of Species Spotlight is a little orange and black fish called the Achilles Tang (Acanthurus achilles; synonymous with A. aterrimus).
There is no doubt these fish can be scrappy and they flash their colors with pride :) The Achilles tang is a challenging community fish, but does well in reef tanks and with fishes that do not look like other tangs.

Though the overwhelming aesthetic impression the Achilles gives is one of black and orange, looking more closely uncovers other colors as well. The dark body is black or dark chocolate brown, but may look bluish in certain lights. The caudal peduncle on each side has a bright orange teardrop, with the point aimed toward the tail. Singular dorsal and anal fins have Dorso-ventral bands of white, orange, black, and white, moving proximal to distally. Finally, the caudal fin bears a distinguished crescent of orange, but ends with narrow vertical black and white bands. Achilles tangs also have black pectoral fins, and small white, orange, and black pelvic fins. The edge of the perculum is rimmed in white, and sometimes blue. Why they are so expensive is there has been put a limit on how many of these you can grab out of the Pacific vs back in the day where there was no limit of how many of these fish divers can catch. The common range for Achilles tangs includes the Hawaiian and Caroline Islands, and extends southwest to Northern Australia and Papua New Guinea. They are also occasionally seen as far east as the southern tip of Baja California, Mexico. In spite of this, the Achilles Tangs is primarily a central and western pacific fish species. They are typically found in the shallows near fore reef crests. Their agile body shape lends itself to this type of environment, as they can turn and react quickly to changes in currents and wave conditions. The shallowest waters also tend to have algal crests, where these fish can readily access their herbivorous food supplies. Though they may have some generalist tendencies, especially early in life, Achilles tangs are primarily algal eaters. Herbivore is common on coral reefs, though the difficulty in processing and digesting plant-like materials means that herbivores must spend a lot of time feeding. They tend to spend much of the day searching the surfaces and crevices of rocks, nibbling on morsels of algae. Achilles Tangs, like many other tangs/surgeonfish, are somewhat moody. Okay, they are downright aggressive, having very little tolerance for fish that look like tangs, especially conspecifics. In the wild, as in the aquarium, they can be territorial and surly though adults may school together and graze as a unit (a wild behavior sometimes mimicked in the largest aquariums. In this manner, it is easier for them to enter the territories of other fishes and graze without harassment. When alone in an aquarium, an achilles tang may choose to become territorial and defensive. On other occasions, it may opt to coexist peacefully with other tangs.

In captivity, breeding is rare or non-existent for the Acanthurus achilles! This will be a fish I will select to go into my SPS Dominate type tank .

In general, one of the most interesting and problematic aspects of keeping tangs is that they have a sharp scalpel spine on either side of their caudal peduncles. In fact, this spine is the reason that many tangs are also called surgeonfish. These blade-like projections can be extended or folded away in a fleshy groove. The spine is used as a means of defense, and has been known to injure both aquarium fish and aquarium-keepers alike! On the Achilles tang, this spine is located on the narrow neck of the orange teardrop on either side of the caudal peduncle. Conscientious aquarists must take care to ensure that this spine does not damage their hands, other livestock, or get caught in a net where it can cause injury to the Achilles itself.

The Achilles is a true gem in anyone's saltwater system..

Image.aspx

Last edited:
OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WOW VERY IMPRESSIVE! What did you pay for him around a few thousand for your #Zebrasoma #gemmatum aka Gem Surgeon Fish ?
ca1ore ? Care to share some picture of your Gem Tang @ca1ore?

Gem Tang_ps.jpg

Here are current prices for these one of a kind Gem Tangs spiking all the way up to 5K, since you can only take some many each year off the reefs, i think i heard like only a few dozen are aloud to be exported each year to the USA.
Gem Prices.PNG

AND YOU HAVE A - Zebrasoma rostratum -bLACK TANG?
b/C THOSE START OUT AT OVER 1,000 BUCKS.

zebrasoma_rostratum.jpg

Here is the Current Market price for your Back Tangs.
upload_2019-1-23_10-41-59.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fishfinder - My Absolute two favorite surgeon fish out of all of the spices, I will be first getting my Chevron Tang- Juvenile and then I will be getting Achilles or vs versus.

Here are some picture of the Chevron Tang at a Juvenile State.

Chevron_Juv_Coral.jpg
Chevron_Juv_Pole.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW VERY IMPRESSIVE! What did you pay for him around a few thousand for your #Zebrasoma #gemmatum aka Gem Surgeon Fish ?
ca1ore ? Care to share some picture of your Gem Tang @ca1ore?

Quite a bit less than that. Gem was $600 and the longnose black a rehome/trade. Black is a total wimp and now lives in my refugium. If you go check out my Simon's450 build in the monster tank forum there are a lot of videos.

Achilles is awesome, but it is SO susceptible to ich (much more so than any other tang). Fish swimming next to the gem is an adult chevron.

FB8A4342-4DC5-4B19-BD7D-F87C0464DC91.jpeg

3AD8FFBC-30FB-479B-A9BF-260155210532.jpeg

0E756B70-6739-40BA-9CFD-BB559135640B.jpeg

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those Gem Tang prices are just crazy.... I know one of our R2R sponsors has a beautiful one for sale for $899..... My LFS has one also for $1200 I believe....

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fishfinder - Since my PM rights have been suspended. LOL

Anyhow, can you share some more pictures of your sump area or is that all in the fish room behind the tank?

Also, when my SCA 150 has done cycling which will be a few months, would you care to sell some of your frags mate?

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite a bit less than that. Gem was $600 and the longnose black a rehome/trade. Black is a total wimp and now lives in my refugium. If you go check out my Simon's450 build in the monster tank forum there are a lot of videos.

Achilles is awesome, but it is SO susceptible to ich (much more so than any other tang). Fish swimming next to the gem is an adult chevron.

-------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the heads up on the Achilles! Do you have a better pix if your Adult Chevron, I know they lose there colors, but they swim awesome.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 136 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back