lets see those leathers especially the neon sinularia

RaysReef

Shazaam Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the tyree ones and sold it once I got Mike's leather. Doesn't compare at all, The tyree one has green tips where the Japanese leather is all green including tip to base and the topper. *Not the from the base to the topper*

Last edited by a moderator:

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. You are killing me. I am currently trying to add to my mushroom collection. But, this is so very tempting.

ladyreefer1983

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also have a tyree leather and the ora green leather...ill say the tyree is much greener....i dont have the japanese leather wish i can buy one,maybe later when its more affordable(i guess):)

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also have a tyree leather and the ora green leather...ill say the tyree is much greener....i dont have the japanese leather wish i can buy one,maybe later when its more affordable(i guess):)

I have seen a few pictures of the Tyree and the ORA side-by-side. The consensus is that the Tyree is superior in terms of color. Both are beautiful, though.

I have watched the Japanese leathers for years. Like yourself, I was hoping the price would come down more over time. I have never seen them come down even one penny. The Aussies have, but not these guys. I guess we can wait together, now.

Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock.

Hey, wait a minute! Didn't you just sell a bunch of mushrooms? I think you should have just enough to cover the cost of both of the leathers being offered by The Captive Reef. Then, you could frag both of them, and send them to me, along with MY orange Rhodactis. :bigsmile:

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some crazy leathers. I purchased them from reefgardener.net morgan has some crazy cool leathers

I agree with you here. I bought a Palau Nephthea from her, as well as a "kryptonite" sarco. She has a few nice pieces, good communication, good shipping, etcetera. Certainly a good vendor.

RaysReef

Shazaam Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Japanese leather doesn't grow as fast, compared to the tyree and ORA ones. As far as prices it has gone down. I paid $300 for mine and now its $99

Last edited by a moderator:

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. I stand corrected, then.

Do you have both of them that are available through The Captive Reef?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have edited a few post using the term "jap" which is offensive to some. Not going to turn this into a debate, just don't use the term please. Thanks.

Bolanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Japanese leather doesn't grow as fast, compared to the tyree and ORA ones. As far as prices it has gone down. I paid $300 for mine and now its $99

I use to own a japanese leather(green stalk, gold polyps) and it was a very slow grower for me, but no doubt that it was a nice coral

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at this thread again I noticed that while I've got a neon sinularia.. YIKES is it a slow grower. It literally hasn't budged in growth since I got it months ago. Now for my other leathers, they've all been exploding in growth. Naturally what I thought would be my favorite leather is a slow grower!

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at this thread again I noticed that while I've got a neon sinularia.. YIKES is it a slow grower. It literally hasn't budged in growth since I got it months ago. Now for my other leathers, they've all been exploding in growth. Naturally what I thought would be my favorite leather is a slow grower!

Yeah i use to have a leather that grew out of control. I split it in half twice and it always grew back super fast. I eventually had to give it to my friend cuz it just got to be too much. Was one of my fave beginner corals!!

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i use to have a leather that grew out of control. I split it in half twice and it always grew back super fast. I eventually had to give it to my friend cuz it just got to be too much. Was one of my fave beginner corals!!

Unfortunately it's all the other leathers that are acting like that! :sad: I was so hoping the little neon sinularia was going to participate faster, but I guess he had a bad acclimation or something. The LFS I bought it from still has other frags that are easily 5x my frag! :xd:

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is quite possible that you are describing a Nephthea rather than a Sinularia. These can have quite different growth rates (guess which one grows slower).

I have had the cutest little Stereonephthea for years. Hasn't grown a millimeter (STUPID CORAL).

Think Dendronephthea...I think what these critters want is...more food than we could reasonably give them in a closed system. I have even thought about taking mine out of the tank daily, and dipping it in DTs or something. I have no way of knowing how that might work out. Wanna' try it?

OP
OP
RogerWilco357

RogerWilco357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is an old pic of mine
mediumneonsingularia.jpg

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I was thinking about this, I recalled the way to distinguish a Sinularia from a Nephthea. Unfortunately the process involves a Sinularia and a Nephthea, some water, a knife, some bleach, a magnifying glass, and a well-trained eye.

I relocated my source/reference. Unfortunately, it belongs to Eric Borneman, and I can't reprint it here. However a google search of "nephthea sinularia eric borneman" turns up these sources rather quickly. If you are interested in determining what yours might be, the information is certainly out there. However, the process is somewhat involved, and everyone gets "hurt" in the process.

macon77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is hilarious. Here is my attempt at adjusting GR808's photo. I have noted elsewhere that I am horrible at photography-type stuff. I stand behind that statement.

As I was laughing at myself, I thought, well...you wanted neon green, no?

GR808's original:
2011-04-11205908.jpg

The epitome of Macon77's mad photography-type skills:
2.jpg

Please, feel free to point, laugh, and ridiculue me here. Actually, I insist that you do.

Maybe I'll start spending more time in the photography forum than in the Corallimorph and Softies forums. Eh, maybe not.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back