Let's see your biggest rock nems!!!

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanna see the biggest rock nems y’all got!!! I’m curious to see how big they get cuz I got a huge ugly one and a few small good looking ones. Lol

7798EB78-DEFB-4E84-B31A-B1484564D60C.jpeg AD40A936-B140-47AE-A311-170D160C2CC0.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Ron Reefman - can you help with this question about RFAs?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll see if I can get any good photos when my lights are on later today. Right now mine are just getting settled in and acclimated to a new tank.

Just to be clear, size has nothing to do with how colorful or good looking a RFA can be. I know that isn't what you meant to imply, but I just wanted to make the point.

I've had several of mine for 5 years or more and the biggest ones are a rainbow and a couple of other bright colorful ones. They have given me 3 rounds of babies and now I have about 35 small ones along with a few others I've bought. Those big original RFAs are about 3" to 4" in diameter (just a guess).

We (my wife and I) snorkel in the Florida Keys a lot and we have a favorite spot to see lots of RFAs. Unfortunately, it's in shallow water which is 99.99% less colorful, but sometimes with attractive patterns, RFAs. This tiny island is only 100' or so in diameter and the water is only 2' to 3' deep, but 1/2 to 3/4's of the circumference of the island drops vertically into the water and that vertical wall is loaded with RFAs of all sizes. I'd guess the biggest ones are about 5" in diameter. I did find and collect one small one there that is rather plain looking overall, but has some blue coloration which made it quite different. But unlike all the really colorful RFAs, this one and most of the shallow water RFAs don't fluoresce much at all. Maybe some green, but the off whites, tan, brown and blacks don't fluoresce. But they do make some patterns that are quite different than what we see in the colorful, deeper water RFAs. I'd just like to get a hybrid of one with great colors and one with cool pattern to breed and give me some new looks!

This is my old 40g tank that I tore down recently.

Almost FTS June 2019.jpg

The multi colored one (right) and the one with the orange disk have been the parents to most of the kids I have.

20190110_095041 R1.jpg

These are a few of the babies tucked in by the parents (at the edges of the photo).

Baby RFAs.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several also with a couple of them being around 5 inches. Again like you I have several that are large and "ugly", and several small ones that fluoresce. I have several babies too, and they typically resemble their parents, with the occasional one being brightly colored.

My lights are out right now, but I will post a couple pics when I get home from work.

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll see if I can get any good photos when my lights are on later today. Right now mine are just getting settled in and acclimated to a new tank.

Just to be clear, size has nothing to do with how colorful or good looking a RFA can be. I know that isn't what you meant to imply, but I just wanted to make the point.

I've had several of mine for 5 years or more and the biggest ones are a rainbow and a couple of other bright colorful ones. They have given me 3 rounds of babies and now I have about 35 small ones along with a few others I've bought. Those big original RFAs are about 3" to 4" in diameter (just a guess).

We (my wife and I) snorkel in the Florida Keys a lot and we have a favorite spot to see lots of RFAs. Unfortunately, it's in shallow water which is 99.99% less colorful, but sometimes with attractive patterns, RFAs. This tiny island is only 100' or so in diameter and the water is only 2' to 3' deep, but 1/2 to 3/4's of the circumference of the island drops vertically into the water and that vertical wall is loaded with RFAs of all sizes. I'd guess the biggest ones are about 5" in diameter. I did find and collect one small one there that is rather plain looking overall, but has some blue coloration which made it quite different. But unlike all the really colorful RFAs, this one and most of the shallow water RFAs don't fluoresce much at all. Maybe some green, but the off whites, tan, brown and blacks don't fluoresce. But they do make some patterns that are quite different than what we see in the colorful, deeper water RFAs. I'd just like to get a hybrid of one with great colors and one with cool pattern to breed and give me some new looks!

Almost FTS June 2019.jpg

The multi colored one (right) and the one with the orange disk have been the parents to most of the kids I have.

20190110_095041 R1.jpg

These are a few of the babies tucked in by the parents (at the edges of the photo).

Baby RFAs.jpg
Them are some nice ones! I’m just getting into rfas I only have 4. I love my hammers

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several also with a couple of them being around 5 inches. Again like you I have several that are large and "ugly", and several small ones that fluoresce. I have several babies too, and they typically resemble their parents, with the occasional one being brightly colored.

My lights are out right now, but I will post a couple pics when I get home from work.
My big one now I think is dying soon his mouth is huge and white I’m not sure what it means but he’s about 5 inches

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My big one now I think is dying soon his mouth is huge and white I’m not sure what it means but he’s about 5 inches

Do NOT rush to judgement on whether it's dying or not. Nems are know for some unusual behaviors. They will occasionally push their insides out through their mouth and then pull it back in and be perfectly OK. And sometimes this process can take a day or more.

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do NOT rush to judgement on whether it's dying or not. Nems are know for some unusual behaviors. They will occasionally push their insides out through their mouth and then pull it back in and be perfectly OK. And sometimes this process can take a day or more.
He’s been like that for a while. I’ve seen him go completely inside out before he looked real nasty. Lol his mouth just looks like that big one you showed up top.

B679A39D-E5A9-44AB-8208-7F842B2D7CFC.jpeg

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen these many times and almost jumped on one. Worried about there sting next to another coral??? Will they kill anything they touch? And will they move around the tank like other anemones?

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen these many times and almost jumped on one. Worried about there sting next to another coral??? Will they kill anything they touch? And will they move around the tank like other anemones?
They irritate anything they touch (nearby soft corals) in my tank. They haven't killed anything.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Almost FTS June 2019.jpg

20190110_095041 R1.jpg

Baby RFAs.jpg
Those are beautiful!

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190918_174042.jpg

I have 6 ..you can just see the bit of red on the right ...hes not doing so well ...but hes been hiding in the rocks just about hanging in there...love rock flowers ...definitely getting more

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back