Question on moving rock

SM37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone, my tank is 5 months old and I have tried darn near everything to get this big female clarkii out of my tank. I even resorted to using a hook and line to no success, she is wicked smart imo. But she is bullying everything she just killed my 3” fire shrimp and fed it to my nem. She’s won’t let my little itty bitty clown goby move from a corner or she rushes it and same goes for my watchman goby. Now, I am to the point of taking out my 3 rocks with corals. I plan on leaving the one rock that my goby and pistol shrimp live under, but the other two can I just empty some tank wanted into a bucket/tote and remove the rock temporarily while I fish her out? I have corals on the one rock. Also I’m worried removing the rocks might cause a cycle? But I’m not really sure. I would be putting the rocks and water if that’s okay back into the tank hopefully within an hour.
Thanks in advance

OP
OP
S

SM37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it’s okay to put the rocks and corals in a bucket of tank water. If it’s more than a few minutes, it’s best to heat and mostly aerate the water.
Awesome, thank you! Can I put the water back into the tank after? I just did a water change yesterday because I’ve been trying to get this fish for the past few days and didn’t know if stirring up the sand bed a little while moving stuff was going to affect my water parameters.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thank you! Can I put the water back into the tank after? I just did a water change yesterday because I’ve been trying to get this fish for the past few days and didn’t know if stirring up the sand bed a little while moving stuff was going to affect my water parameters.
If it’s clean water from the tank, sure.

Be careful with stirring the sand though. I can create an ammonia spike and kill inhabitants.

OP
OP
S

SM37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty! I’ll be removing the rocks straight up and pretty slow, hopefully minimizing stirred up substrate.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back