Let's see your matured frags!

Euphylliaphyle

Just your average schmo.
View Badges
Joined
Sep 28, 2025
Messages
1,700
Reaction score
2,717
Location
Eastern NC
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a newbie, I find it educational scrolling through online frag sellers' catalogs. However, it is hard to get a good mental future image of these frags. Some sellers post images of the mother colony, which is very helpful, but usually devoid of information on size and age. I look up mature specimens online, but these are mostly divers' photos from the sea and not representative of say, 5-year frag maturation.
So my proposal is this: I ask that well-established reefers please post a pic of one (or a few) of your mature corals that started as a frag in your possession at least 5 years ago. Please state:

● The genus and industry name (if known)
● The age at the time of the photo since frag was aquired
● The rough dimensions of the coral as pictured, and
● Some idea about how often/how many times this specimen has been fragged to maintain size and shape.

I believe this photo album will be beneficial to folks like me who are trying to intelligently plan the livestocking of their reef tank, help us to visualize our future tanks, and dream!

Thanks to all!
 
Here’s a few to start…all started from 1-2” frags..about 5 years in…4-10” overall on average..
Orange Setosa, Green Goblin Anacropora, Spicy Lemon Favia, Space Invader Pectinia, Dragon Tamer Torch, Rainbow Goni, Miyagi Tort, Bubble Coral

IMG_0919.jpeg
IMG_0920.jpeg
IMG_0921.jpeg
IMG_0906.jpeg
IMG_0903.jpeg
IMG_0730.jpeg
IMG_0722.jpeg
IMG_0708.jpeg
 
This is my NY Knicks, top center and a frag just under the yellow wrasse. I’ve had it under 5 years and have fragged it at least 8 times.
IMG_0562.png
IMG_2945.jpeg
 
Here’s a few to start…all started from 1-2” frags..about 5 years in…4-10” overall on average..
Orange Setosa, Green Goblin Anacropora, Spicy Lemon Favia, Space Invader Pectinia, Dragon Tamer Torch, Rainbow Goni, Miyagi Tort, Bubble Coral

IMG_0919.jpeg
IMG_0920.jpeg
IMG_0921.jpeg
IMG_0906.jpeg
IMG_0903.jpeg
IMG_0730.jpeg
IMG_0722.jpeg
IMG_0708.jpeg
Beautiful! How far away do you need to keep the Pectinia from everything else? I hear they do not play nicely with others, but would love to get one!
 
Beautiful! How far away do you need to keep the Pectinia from everything else? I hear they do not play nicely with others, but would love to get one!
Thanks. Yes, they have long feeder tentacles that come out at night so a couple of inches away from anything else is a smart move.
 
Spathulata. But now I think they changed it to where it falls under millepora. I dunno....I can't keep up with scientific names when they change
 
Spathulata. But now I think they changed it to where it falls under millepora. I dunno....I can't keep up with scientific names when they change
I was thinking it was a Mille. Do you recall the marketing name?
 
I am really enjoying these! I have already found the responses very helpful, thank you! Keep them coming, everyone!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new