Lets See Your "Sidecar" Reef Aquariums" (small reef plumbed to your display tank)

Stoneyed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mag drives definitely put out some heat, but they came with the tank... and work, so they aren't a priority for replacement. They also use quite a bit of power, so the plan is to switch to two DC pumps once my wallet can handle it.

Edit: I don't use a heater, except for ~ 1 week a year. Yay Florida!

OP
OP
mattdg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I built this LiFePo4 power cabinet, to keep the tank running during power outages. Here is a link to the thread about the outlining the power station, in more detail. On page 2.

Anyway, just wanted to share where I will be placing my side car reef, eventually. Already cut outs, for bulkheads and am currently leaning towards a mangrove system.

Please keep sharing your newly or fully established side car reef aquariums!

LiFePo4 Reef Aquarium Power Station Cabinet.jpg
LiFePo4 Craft Aquatic Reef Aquarium Power Station Shelves.jpg

LiFePo4 Reef Aquarium Power Station Cabinet.jpg

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m literarily adding a sidecar tank right now. Would be very cool to see how you plumbed them.

Wormyjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an old pic, but 180 SPS + 60 lagoon. Mangroves have been replaced with turtlegrass.
IMG_20220629_203818974.jpg
I just have setup my display refugium beside my display tank and added cycled rock to it yesterday. Any advice on the mangroves or macro algae? My main tank is a bare bottom and the display refuge is a sand bottom. Do you think there will be any issues having both plumbed together? I have an order coming in Wednesday for macro and mangroves and I'm excited to start placing them.

Stoneyed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have setup my display refugium beside my display tank and added cycled rock to it yesterday. Any advice on the mangroves or macro algae? My main tank is a bare bottom and the display refuge is a sand bottom. Do you think there will be any issues having both plumbed together? I have an order coming in Wednesday for macro and mangroves and I'm excited to start placing them.
Make sure they both have independent drains to your sump. If you split flow from a single pump, remember to open the valves occasionally to blow out detritus. Independent pumps make it easier, but space/heat/cost may be issues to consider.

Keep an eye out for dropped leaves clogging your overflow. I installed some marine-painted beadboard behind the mangroves to catch any water spray from misting them... much better than spraying your walls.

I removed my mangroves, as they prevented me from putting a screen over the top to prevent jumpers.

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you split flow from a single pump, remember to open the valves occasionally to blow out detritus. I
If you split flow from a single pump into two return lines for two tanks, don't you only need one valve on one of the two return lines?

Stoneyed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you split flow from a single pump into two return lines for two tanks, don't you only need one valve on one of the two return lines?
*in theory* yes, but depending on pump flow/diameter/head pressure, it's really tricky to get the flow balanced. The second valve allows a bit of backpressure to force flow both ways.

I have both of my valves at ~80% open, which works for me.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back