Let's see your Triton specific sumps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

gcrance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20160603_163900.jpg

Just waiting a little while longer on the cycle to order some macros for the fuge on the right side.

6 chamber 125 13mm acryllic sump for my 300g we just brought online this past weekend

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this thing get a pretty good stink going to it or are you nose blind yet?
My wife and I are not nose blind yet. LOL
The sump does look like it would smell like, through up, but there is no smell at all. It doesn't even smell like algae. It doesn't have any smell.
The bed is so thick I put a rock on it to push it down. But the algae just held the rock up. I pushed the rock down and the algae pushed it back up.

P5140105_zpszels6tip.jpg

I use a Giesemann T5 Razor Fixture with two
GIESEMANN T-5 / tropic full spectrum 6500K HO T5 lamp with enhanced photosynthetic peaks which recreates a natural sunlight effect.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you never remove any of it?
I thought removing the algae is what exports the nutrients out of your system. I'll typically run a rolling chaeto ball and trim it down from beach ball size to softball size every few weeks. This tends to keep my nutrients almost non-existent.
So I'm curious how this swampy muck approach differs?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never cut mine back unless it wants to grow over and under baffles.
Algae uses nutrients to break down into the simple sugars needed for Photosynthesis
When it dies off those nutrients are not released in the form of no3 and po4

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you never remove any of it?
I thought removing the algae is what exports the nutrients out of your system. I'll typically run a rolling chaeto ball and trim it down from beach ball size to softball size every few weeks. This tends to keep my nutrients almost non-existent.
So I'm curious how this swampy muck approach differs?
Triton Method is different from other methods.
How is the lighting handled?

The algae filter is illuminated opposite to the day/night cycle of the main tank and thus keeps the pH value

stable and supplies the coral algae (zooxanthellae) with CO2 during the day. TRITON also recommends

lighting with T5.

Algae as a catalyst

Algae are plants and use chemical substances that they convert into numerous organic substances in

their metabolic processes. These include amino acids, vitamins and various types of sugar that other

aquatic creatures and bacteria in aquarium systems can continue to use.

Attempts to dose the organic substances produced by algae by supplementing them externally are based

on assumptions regarding consumption, composition and precise selection, which have to date not been

scientifically proven. In addition, these substances are often extremely perishable. Information on how

corals and other aquatic creatures take in the substances, e.g. directly from the water or via plankton, is

also not available.

For this reason, TRITON completely excludes foreign dosage, using the existing algae in the system as a

catalyst instead.

How does the natural production of organic substances take place?

By adding TRITON “BASE ELEMENTZ”, algae form greater amounts of amino acids, vitamins and

various types of sugar. These are absorbed in metabolic processes, e.g. by the microorganisms living in

the algae, which are also supplied with “BASE ELEMENTZ”. In turn, microorganisms such as plankton are

a high-quality source of food for other forms of life, including several types of coral. Furthermore, organic

substances are released when the algae die off, which gives creatures in aquaria that depend on them

another option for absorption.

A metabolic chain, which assures a constant supply of amino acids, vitamins and sugar to the aquarium

system, is generated in the tank by the natural process of producing and consuming substances. This

principle is also found in nature. Very healthy coral reefs, for instance, are frequently located near areas

where seaweed flourishes.

Another advantage of “algae catalysation”: Substances generated directly in an aquarium by algae

are considerably more effective than supplements added artificially. As a comparison: The vitamin C

contained in a fresh pepper is far better absorbed in the human body and more effectively processed

than that in a vitamin pill.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my month old refugium. :)

It's 21" x 13" with 16.5" of water (just under 20g) and it's supporting my 120g tank.
Lighting is a Mars Hydro 300 full spectrum led.

Macros include:
Chaetomorpha
Hypnea Pannosa
Halimeda Opuntia
Gracilaria Hayi
Codium
Ulva
Mermaid Fan

I also have a handful of Nerite and cerith snails, as well as a large brittle starfish.... somewhere.

What do you think?
Am I on the right track?
Being that the tank drains right into the fuge, there is a ton of detritus. The chaeto doesn't even look green because it collects so much.
I assume this is ok?

This was it 9 days ago...

i-4rFdjD5.jpg

And here it is today...

i-Z3HZ8Bq.jpg

Charlie Denmark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok got the sump in.

20160603_203619[1].jpg

fuge

20160603_203704[1].jpg

nerve center

20160603_203716[1].jpg

dosing station

20160603_203737.jpg

Real Nice craftmanshift! Love your building skilles regarding wood. BUT, I think you have a heck of a lot of metal in that sump.... Be aware, my experince whit that is RUST, leaking a lot of unwanted stuf tomhed tank as time goes bye.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think?
Am I on the right track?
Being that the tank drains right into the fuge, there is a ton of detritus. The chaeto doesn't even look green because it collects so much.
I assume this is ok?

Urbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this. Good info thanks everyone.

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started Triton last month. Took out my old 20 gallon long with baffles and replaced it with a non-baffled one. ($20 at Petco). Added the Aquamesh Green rigid filter pad to keep the macro algae away from the pumps. Removed the skimmer and just run a Carbon/GFO canister (behind divider). My stand is an old 1940's entertainment center and I placed the doser where the turntable used to be and mounted it perpendicular so I could program it while it was in place.

Sump1.jpg Sump2.jpg

Simonsen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my setup. Started it for two weeks now and so far so good. Growing real fast!

IMG_3541.jpg

IMG_3540.jpg

Benson0219

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just upgraded my refugium last week with a tank that is 28 L x 18 W x 22 T. Its about 48 gallons. I have more and a variety of algae ordered from Algae Barn.
01b2394028628bcc827d94f201d9438caeed16573c.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back