Let's talk about aquarium cabinet/stand manufacturers... Who are they? Who do you recommend?

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controlled Dynamics I believe. I go through Chris to get everything but it was easier to call direct for my floating canopy design then play messenger back and forth.
Interesting, I never came across them when sourcing extrusions. The profiles do look nice but I wouldn’t say the quality is better than 8020. One major benefit to using 8020 is the anchor fasteners. They become very expensive to use when factoring machining and individual fastener cost but the added strength and the fact it’s hidden inside the profile I find worth it. It’s been awhile but I think each anchor fastener is good for 1100# in shear. I also did not want any exposed extrusions ends so I sandwiched my horizontals between the uprights. Each stand is topped with a 3/4” 6061 plate so not too worried. I actually jack my stands up (tanks full of water) and bolt castors to the sides and wheel them around when I want access to the back of the stands.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
826A0B0C-D0D1-4C59-855F-457A18D5A99D.jpeg
95828340-8389-4319-988C-4185861908F3.jpeg
53196661-DF7B-40BA-AA26-71DB1FD61005.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are already some great recommendations in this thread! I think @Joe Glass Cages also does cabinets.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
T-Slot is surprisingly easy to work with, using Zyltech.com and getting custom cut pieces, its like playing with k'nex! WAY less expensive than T-Slot custom builders websites too...

Im gonna have to do a tutorial thread on my next stand build.

IMG_0034.jpeg IMG_0044.JPG IMG_0070.JPG IMG_0183.jpeg
I agree with the previous comments - nice cat!

...also the tutorial on t-slot would be very useful! I keep thinking about it and have been inspired by @Tidal Gardens recent t-slot builds, but I still am a little bit tentative.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to t slot and won't look back. Way too fun and, if you use zyltech, not much more than wood.

AIO_stand.jpg

I have to add a few more plates and it's done.

I also did my bearded dragon setup out of it with integrated light rack

cal_stand.jpg

borillion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this in my 3D printer builds, and a vesa screen display but had never thought of putting together an aquarium stand with it. My concern is the screws as weak points, how much can a stand like this support.

Zyltech cut the extrusion for you? I didn't know they did that, usually just bought a kit.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this in my 3D printer builds, and a vesa screen display but had never thought of putting together an aquarium stand with it. My concern is the screws as weak points, how much can a stand like this support.

Zyltech cut the extrusion for you? I didn't know they did that, usually just bought a kit.

I cut enough of it, I bought a specific blade for aluminum and have a power miter box that I exclusively use for it.

It wound up, in the long run, cheaper than paying $1.50 a cut to zyltech.

Ej Chavex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T-Slot is surprisingly easy to work with, using Zyltech.com and getting custom cut pieces, its like playing with k'nex! WAY less expensive than T-Slot custom builders websites too...

Im gonna have to do a tutorial thread on my next stand build.

Amazing stuff   

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another for Chris Benner! My boy does amazing work. In fact, I think he did Ryan’s (BRS) stand on the tank he had at home then moved it to the office. I think….do not quote on me on that. Unless I’m right. Haha

corey

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See... I've been thinking about this option, but I think I'm a bit afraid of going with a local cabinet maker who may not have experience with building aquarium stands. I'd feel better knowing whoever builds the stand has experience with this.

This is what separates custom cabinetmakers from standard "hack it and rack it" builders. YOU determine exactly what you want and work with the builder to make it happen.

I’m getting ready to start a build thread in a month or so. I ordered a new 150 gallon tank from SCA this week. I will be building my own stand. I’m fortunate enough to have a shop full of wood and metal working tools. The stand will be metal framed with wood panels. Haven’t decided on alum or steel yet. Materials are very expensive right now.
image.jpg

I am SOOOOOOOO jealous!!!! I loved woodworking. If I had the room for a shop, or even access to one that would let me use their equipment.....

My 55g stand is custom built by myself. All the woodwork is my own. I was fortunate enough in my youth to work at a shop that made their own doors, so I had access to a shaper to make the panels and outside edges easily.

IMG_0257.jpg

More photos of my stand on my build thread...

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you buy your Aluminum pieces?

Be aware, aluminum has just had a price increase. The 187 stand was going to be about $300 last month. Now, I am going a different direction. The price went up 50% and I have a bunch of steel and cabinet grade plywood laying around so I am going to build a hybrid even though I want aluminum. :(

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be aware, aluminum has just had a price increase. The 187 stand was going to be about $300 last month. Now, I am going a different direction. The price went up 50% and I have a bunch of steel and cabinet grade plywood laying around so I am going to build a hybrid even though I want aluminum. :(
that sucks, I just got some pieces to do a refit on my current stand to make it a little more accessible for maintenance, id say it was 10-15% price increase for 3030 at Zyltech.

Back