Let's talk duncans

jrawk1120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 separate types of duncans. A ball type and branch type.

Great color and extension on both. I have them in the mid flow, mid light section of my tank. They look really happy

The ball I've had for probably 2.5 months. After about an hour of putting it in my tank originally, it's been happy it rarely closes, but seems to have popped a bunch of new heads. Great!

Then I have my branching Duncan. It has 2 separate stalks. Nice green stems up to a 2 nice heads.

My question is, how do I promote growth on the branching Duncan?

Currently I feed reef energy twice a week. One of those times, I'll put reef roids in the mix as well.

I'm not unhappy, but would love the branches to fill up!

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to squirt a little mysis in the polyp when I feed frozen food. They really do seem to like it and I get good growth. Duncans are one of my favorite corals. I don't know if feeding them bit of frozen food helps with growth because I've always done it and can't compare the two options.

OP
OP
jrawk1120

jrawk1120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed it some meaty foods like mysis or pellets. They love to eat! Feeding it will promote growth.
The reef energy and roids aren't enough? I don't mind getting in there with the pipette, more just curious

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope.

Meaty foods, they actually do love to actually eat. I found stuff like reef roids was too watery. Kind of like preferring a cheeseburger, over a milkshake when your hungry. While the milkshake will curb the hunger, your body would prefer the energy from the cheeseburger.

OP
OP
jrawk1120

jrawk1120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope.

Meaty foods, they actually do love to actually eat. I found stuff like reef roids was too watery. Kind of like preferring a cheeseburger, over a milkshake when your hungry. While the milkshake will curb the hunger, your body would prefer the energy from the cheeseburger.
Good to know! I'll give it a shot

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.4%
Back