Let's talk skimmers!

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have my OLD RETRO and trusty EuroReefs. Going on 2+ decades old.

3 Different Gens on the Skimmer Cup Mounts and different Output Tuning Mechanisms.

All run on KSP Sedra 5000 pumps. Impellers last forever if never soaked in Vinegar. (Only Citric Acid).
Learned that Vingar will ruin/SWELL an impeller. I was replacing every 2-3 years. After switching to citric acid, no need to replace ever.

They are certainly not for the Faint-of-Heart folks with tight space requirements. However with my space it's not a issue, and they run reliably, easy to tune, and skim Wet or Dry. (Fairly easy to clean as well)

All easy to add outside-air-line to bring in Fresh Air (improving PH just a touch).

51069290388_fe4f1926ad_h.jpg

I actually aquired a used one (left) for a spare just a month ago. For a quick swap when time to clean.

I tried a couple of new Modern Skimmers and they didn't perform as well as my EuroReefs (side-by-side-tests), so I got rid of them.

What I recently learned and it applies to ANY EFFICIENT (or Over EFFICIENT) skimmer is not to run it 24/7.
I now turn off my skimmer after Lights out for 3 hours to allow the corals to feed in darkness which is when most corals feed. That simple change drastically improved my SPS coloration.

Last edited:

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thes and diy ats are a diyers dream. Lol. Talk about budget tank.
D
Is there a video of that sticky icky being produced by one of those? I mean, cool, he produced bubbles coming out of a water bottle. Can he produce skimmate that will make you puke? I guess any time air moves through water it’s possible.

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've become more conscious of my carbon footprint, meaning my electricity bill, and I'm definitely going DC next run. So looking at Simplicity or Reef Octo.

I have a Vertex 150 currently and it is insane BUT I have in mind how much I want to spend on electricity cost per month on my reef and I'm expecting to run another light or my current ones higher so I try to cancel the watts out as I go.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've become more conscious of my carbon footprint, meaning my electricity bill, and I'm definitely going DC next run. So looking at Simplicity or Reef Octo.

I have a Vertex 150 currently and it is insane BUT I have in mind how much I want to spend on electricity cost per month on my reef and I'm expecting to run another light or my current ones higher so I try to cancel the watts out as I go.
Tunze 9410 dc runs at a max of 16 watts and is a very underrated skimmer.
I run on on my 120 and 45 frag system.
Tunze are worth a look.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Regal 250INT 10" Internal Protein Skimmer (VarioS) - Reef Octopus on my 240g FOWLR. I love it. I love how quiet the DC pump is, and the low electricity consumption. I never have to adjust it. Only comment would be to clean the pump more frequently than you think you should. DC pumps are not as forgiving with buildup etc as AC pumps, IME.

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have my OLD RETRO and trusty EuroReefs. Going on 2+ decades old.

3 Different Gens on the Skimmer Cup Mounts and different Output Tuning Mechanisms.

All run on KSP Sedra 5000 pumps. Impellers last forever if never soaked in Vinegar. (Only Citric Acid).
Learned that Vingar will ruin/SWELL an impeller. I was replacing every 2-3 years. After switching to citric acid, no need to replace ever.

They are certainly not for the Faint-of-Heart folks with tight space requirements. However with my space it's not a issue, and they run reliably, easy to tune, and skim Wet or Dry. (Fairly easy to clean as well)

All easy to add outside-air-line to bring in Fresh Air (improving PH just a touch).

51069290388_fe4f1926ad_h.jpg

I actually aquired a used one (left) for a spare just a month ago. For a quick swap when time to clean.

I tried a couple of new Modern Skimmers and they didn't perform as well as my EuroReefs (side-by-side-tests), so I got rid of them.

What I recently learned and it applies to ANY EFFICIENT (or Over EFFICIENT) skimmer is not to run it 24/7.
I now turn off my skimmer after Lights out for 3 hours to allow the corals to feed in darkness which is when most corals feed. That simple change drastically improved my SPS coloration.

Always loved the euroreef skimmers with the gate valve mod. Worked wonders for me on my previous tank setups!

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a Tunze fan as well. Dead simple to set up, zero fiddling, just plug it in and it skims.
PXL_20210418_020427704.jpg

hebdizzle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simplicity 240DC in my 40G breeder sump for a 150G display. Very light bioload for now as I build up my stocking (tank has been running for about 6 weeks). It works spectacularly and quite easy to adjust after the break in period. I’ve never needed it but have heard their customer service is great.

RayDRoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Vertex 130 w/ air restrictor, running perfect for 8yrs.
Vertex.jpg

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reef Octopus Elite 200SSS. This was a replacement for my original skimmer which was just way to small for my bio load. I really like this one. I run the swabbed for this so it stays clean longer.

Regardless cleaning the skimmer itself is probably one of the things I dread most when it comes to maintenance. Difficult to get out, a total mess, difficult to get back in, requires some tuning to get back to working perfectly. However it runs so nice when it is freshly cleaned.

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Quantum Nyos 160, dead silent and efficient, my tank is 125 gal. I read also good reviews about the Reef Octopus Elite and Regal series. I may consider give them a try if I decide to go for a variable pump in the future.
I have this skimmer on a 40 breeder, 20 sump lol. It’s great

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are willing to get in line for it, talk to Jeff at Life Reef. There's a reason why there is a waiting list.
He also is very responsive via email. I bought mine used for a steal and he gave me advice on how to set it up. It's been a few years but if I recall he got back to me within a day.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back