Lettuce Nudibranch going to the surface at night

kazeespada

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 16, 2023
Messages
49
Reaction score
24
Location
Phoenix
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every night my lettuce nudibranch goes to the surface. He is the only one who does this. The other tank mates are a barnacle blenny, a dwarf hermit crab, several snails, and a coco worm. Should I be worried about my oxygenation?
 
They generally like to be high up when the lights go out regardless of how oxygenated the water is, I think it's instinctual. I am not sure if it's an instinct related to avoiding benthic nocturnal predators or to increase oxygen when photosynthesis isn't happening from their stolen chloroplasts. As long as he's not out of the water and none of the snails are panicking to get to the surface I think it's really normal from what I've seen.
 
Kleptoplasts off their sugar rush want to go to the light, and they know the light is high in the tank normally.

poltergeist stay away from the light GIF
 
They generally like to be high up when the lights go out regardless of how oxygenated the water is, I think it's instinctual. I am not sure if it's an instinct related to avoiding benthic nocturnal predators or to increase oxygen when photosynthesis isn't happening from their stolen chloroplasts. As long as he's not out of the water and none of the snails are panicking to get to the surface I think it's really normal from what I've seen.
Awesome. Thanks for letting me know.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new