Levamisole In-Tank Treatment for AEFW

mike_dani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there NARC, I have been lucky enough to find a fellow reefer who has AEFW in his tank.... I will be donating the 6 dose treatment to help solve an issue that has plagued some of us in this and many surrounding areas.

I did some of my initial reading over in the other site (Linked for your reading pleasure), there has been a ton of banter back and fourth and many different products used. For this experiment I will be using a product named Prohibit, it is almost PURE Levamisole powder. Each packet contains 46.8 gm of levamisole hydrochloride per 52 gm packet and is enough to treat up to 2808 gallons of water.

The dosage I have read to work is .0166 grams per gallon, so the formula I am going to use for say a 220 gallon tank will be

.0166*220=3.652g of Prohibit (or levamisole hydrochloride)

Now this is not PURE levamisole hydrochloride, the package is 52 grams and each packet contains 46.8 gm of levamisole hydrochloride so this package is only 90 percent levamisole hydrochloride. I think this will give a 10 percent oops factor in our favor.

46.8/52=.9
with that in mind we are actually using 3.2868 grams for 220 gallons or .01494 grams of levamisole hydrochloride per gallon in case someone wanted to break it down to use a different product.

I have used the Prohibit and the .0166 formula one a QT tank for two treatments, now there were only red planataria (sp) flatworms on these pieces and it works great for that also. I placed many Acropora inside the QT tank to find if any were going to RTN or just give up, I found that even some of the most sensitive Acros like echinata, lokani and granulosa behaved well although I did lose an echinata. Fish and clams all seem to do fine, they will sometimes react to the treatment but after a few hours come back to normal. Inverts........ I have read many people claiming they do fine and some who say most stars and worms will either die or become very sluggish.

The process of dosing will be as follows
1. remove any large stars
2. turn off skimmer
3. remove Carbon and GFO
4. dose tank
5. using a power head or turkey baster blast each coral many times to remove any persistent AEFW
6. after 5 hours add carbon and GFO
7. turn on skimmer
8. do a 20 percent water change

For subsequent treatments every 7 days repeat the process with the exception to the large water change, I feel this is only important for the first dose as this is when major die off can occur. I have decided on the 7 day dose cycle only because I have read that the eggs will hatch in 5 to 11 days, I cant find a solid answer so if they hatch in 5 we can catch them prior to laying more eggs. If any of you can point me to a definite answer that would be awesome.

I/we will keep you posted with the results.

Yerboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds great, cant wait to see the outcome.. so let me ask what nut job did you talk into allowing you to do this in their tank?

OP
OP
mike_dani

mike_dani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds great, cant wait to see the outcome.. so let me ask what nut job did you talk into allowing you to do this in their tank?

The identity of said individual will remain a secret until the photos if any identify said individuals tank. Only then will the true identity of said individual be identified.

Unless said individual decides to reveal their identity.

Yerboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well the unidentified individual will be home all weekend if you want to get this kicked off.

jason.tammy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with this.Should be a cool cure if it works.I hope you and said individual have success with it.
Jason

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have posted way back when (don't get on the forums very much at all these days...), but my experience with Levamisole (back in Nashville, so it's been 6 or 7 years) was not pleasant. At the time, the idea of an intank treatment was not even considered. I treated in a separate system. lost about 80% of my acros (but got rid of the AEFWs). I had acros attached to rocks, and I think that contributed to loses (assuming the Levamisole killed off some of the rock, adding to the spike in parameters). The stuff that came out of the skimmer was some nasty goo...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back