Leveling a 185g aquarium on carpet.

ATOM1C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys First post here.

So I've recently purchased a custom built 185g tank and have a box section steel stand that is flat with no feet on it.
Iam in the process of trying to level it out on carpet.
My issue at the moment is when adding shims under a side while trying to level it evenly on the carpet is just painful.
I have plywood that I have left over which is the same size as the stand and was thinking would it be suitable to put this under the stand to create a flat bottom onto the carpet and then shim in between the plywood and the stand to level it out.
Cheers.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could work, I imagine your biggest challenge will be to confirm you are getting equal compression of the carpet and carpet pad from the tank and stand before adding water. The size tank and stand you have should help with that, but if you have any wiggle or movement before adding water, it will be suspect. You could fill the tank with water and then recheck your level, but that's a lot of water to move! Other than cutting holes in the carpet for the stand feet to pass thru, I don't know how else to do it.

Dunc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys First post here.

So I've recently purchased a custom built 185g tank and have a box section steel stand that is flat with no feet on it.
Iam in the process of trying to level it out on carpet.
My issue at the moment is when adding shims under a side while trying to level it evenly on the carpet is just painful.
I have plywood that I have left over which is the same size as the stand and was thinking would it be suitable to put this under the stand to create a flat bottom onto the carpet and then shim in between the plywood and the stand to level it out.
Cheers.
Bite the bullet and cut out the carpet. That’s what I did and it gives me piece of mind.

Attachments

• DB06909D-C743-4D6D-85E7-9D427B4B23EE.jpeg
    DB06909D-C743-4D6D-85E7-9D427B4B23EE.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 85

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm more interested in your disaster plan when the tank leaks all over the carpet at 2:34am on a work night....and the spouse is hitting you with a roll up newspaper

new girl GIF

Last edited:

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommended on another thread considering use of a thick rubber mat, one inch or more. Also potentially having a spill pan of some sort added to the setup.

Slicing the carpet to remove the square mat work, it can be replaced after removal.

I ended up unable to sleep one night and pulled my carpet starting at 2:30 in the morning. It was the best decision I made.

Recently I carpeted my bedroom, I plan to use a carefully constructed stand to pierce through the carpet so the feet can sit directly on the concrete subfloor beneath. If tank fails, carpet will be replaced. It’s the risk of doing it.

There’s lots of options,
-Andrew

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back