Leveling Up! SPS Level 2 - what comes after beginner category?

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been far (far) too many threads and websites discussing best beginner SPS - you know, the typical green slimer, monti, stylo, birdnest discussion. How much can we kick a dead horse? That bad boy is done and cooked. We all know where to start, but where do we go from here?!

I have seen very little discussion on where to go next. Are we meaning to say that once you are able to keep green slimers and montis, you are ready for tenius ? Ready to start popping Walt Disneys and Homewreckers like champagne bottles? I imagine that is not the case.

So what does come next? Where do people start to experiment after they have gotten the basics of beginner SPS down?
Just what is Level 2 of the SPS game?

Honestly, I have no clue. I am looking for answers. Are smooth skin acros next? What about millis? Tabling acros? Or are there no rules? Is it one MadMax world out there after you leave the comforting confines of beginner SPS? Or is Level 2 any acro that costs under $100 :p ?

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say smooth acros would be a good start! I actually just ended up with one and it's been a little different than having a birdsnest. Encrusters might be a good one to throw in there as well

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the beginner frags can be successfully sustained to thriving, growing animals on a consistent basis, with understanding of basic water chemistry, keeping stable parameters and decent tank maintenance then “beginner” frags would be for beginners.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a relative newbie as well, but now with an SPS dominant tank that is doing well, I think I can add to this discussion. I acquired a ton of SPS frags in the past 6 months including some ill advised high end ones that didn't survive.

I would say outside of personal preference, I would avoid as an intermediate SPS keeper are:

Super high end arcos. Walt Disney, Homewrecker, JF jolt, etc. These frags are generally tiny, cut from small mother colonies and will be difficult to maintain unless you are an expert, IMO.

Anything maricultured. These will mostly die and aren't with the hassle. Better to spend more on aquacultured strains.

Stick to known long time captive acropora like Oregon Tort, Garf Bonsai, Goldenrod anacropora, Pac Man, Pink Lemonade, etc. I find all of these easy to keep and are no harder than any other coral assuming that you have a tank suitable for SPS.

AioGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly aquacultured sps would be your best bet. If your able to keep beginner sps but have trouble with higher end stuff you probably just need some more random flow!

OP
OP
drtechno

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great suggestions.
Anyway to judge high end sps other than price?
It seems the consensus is aquacultured not too expensive sps is the next thing to try after the beginner level frags.

OP
OP
drtechno

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a relative newbie as well, but now with an SPS dominant tank that is doing well, I think I can add to this discussion. I acquired a ton of SPS frags in the past 6 months including some ill advised high end ones that didn't survive.

I would say outside of personal preference, I would avoid as an intermediate SPS keeper are:

Super high end arcos. Walt Disney, Homewrecker, JF jolt, etc. These frags are generally tiny, cut from small mother colonies and will be difficult to maintain unless you are an expert, IMO.

Anything maricultured. These will mostly die and aren't with the hassle. Better to spend more on aquacultured strains.

Stick to known long time captive acropora like Oregon Tort, Garf Bonsai, Goldenrod anacropora, Pac Man, Pink Lemonade, etc. I find all of these easy to keep and are no harder than any other coral assuming that you have a tank suitable for SPS.
Pics! Drool

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’d say level one is SPS like Stylophora and Pocilopora as well as well as the “other” Stylos.
Montis are level 1 or 2 depending. I have a number of both Stylophora and Montis.
I’m attempting in an ongoing effort to grow Acros in a nano I’ve set up.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montis and Stylos I find are the easiest in a mixed reef. This my collection plus a green slimer anacropora which is one of the easiest Acropora types

IMG_3140.jpeg IMG_3186.jpeg IMG_3048.jpeg IMG_3049.jpeg IMG_3137.jpeg IMG_3091.jpeg

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you have the basics down and know how to provide stability and needed parameters there’s no reason why you can’t grow tenuis, Millis, etc. I agree you should stick to the aquacultured frags. However, I don’t see why you couldn’t try millis or even a WD frag. How much money are you willing to risk? lol. SPS in my experience are easier than most think. It really is all about stability.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think lighting is one of the main factors that holds many back from some of those high end sticks. I get about 200 par on the top of my scape with my AI Primes, which is really not enough par for many acropora to really color up and truly thrive.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would say that there definitely are levels of difficulty from montis to wild tenuis colonys. I would recommend sticking with corals that are proven multi gen frags.

ORA stuff is a good start.
Most tyree stuff
Lots of these have 10-20 years of captive raising

Yellow- pink lemonade , golden rod anacropora, pink Floyd
Red- red planet, pc rainbow, setosa,
Green- ora frogskin, slimer,
Blue- oregon tort, cali tort, yellow tip, hawkins enchinata

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag of goldenrod anacropora coming this week. I can't wait to see it in my mixed reef.
IMG_20231230_222031.jpg
Congrats, its a great coral. Just remember that these dont base out at all so be careful where you put it as they will get knocked down.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back