Levels of stuff

Peter Dietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorta new to the whole testing thing and I just tested and my levels are as follows

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrate 0
Ph 8.8
Ca 620
Phosphate .5

I don't have all or mag yet but I added these corals from another tank the other day and they haven't come around and my corals look like this yet my zoas still look good. Makes no sense. Pics to follow please help. I also did a water change today to help out. The rock with the snail is supposed to be Gsp
1497144571821520048727.jpg
14971449165471088789547.jpg
14971450370911438236076.jpg
20170610_182151.jpg

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium is really high... 420 is a common number to shoot for. pH is a little high also... I typically don't like to see mine go over 8.5. What is your salinity and temp? Then get us that Alk measurement and we'll have a better image of what's going on.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also Nitrates are low. zero no3/po4 is an old wives tale, most of the exceedingly nice tanks have nutrients in the water (Nitrates / Phosphates).

If you only have nitrates, or only have phosphates, you'll run into problems eventually.

OP
OP
Peter Dietz

Peter Dietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is at 1.026 and temp is at 79. The alk probably won't be able to get till the weekend :(

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to test phosphate? .5 is pretty high...

OP
OP
Peter Dietz

Peter Dietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of those API test kits where you drop the drops in to the test bottles. I ment to say .05 not .5

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of those API test kits where you drop the drops in to the test bottles. I ment to say .05 not .5
Does your color card have a .05 or is that just a guess because the color doesn't match? A reading of .5 PO4 could explain why your corals are unhappy so it may be worth getting a different more precise kit.

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it's. 5 it looks like this one.
phosphatecolorchart2.jpg
I had to double check my card to make sure I wasn't remembering incorrectly too. While PO4 is necessary for healthy coral, too high of levels will have negative effects. Are you seeing any unwanted algae growth? How long has this tank been running for?

EDIT: Are you using API for all your testing?

OP
OP
Peter Dietz

Peter Dietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am using API for all my testing. The tank has been up a little over two months now. I am starting to have a cyano I'll break but I know that's all part of the new tank syndrome

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am using API for all my testing. The tank has been up a little over two months now. I am starting to have a cyano I'll break but I know that's all part of the new tank syndrome
If your tank is that new, I'd try to find the source of the phosphate. IME it has to build up in a system over a period of time. Are you using RODI water? Tap water is notorious for having high phosphate levels. Are you dosing anything right now? As @Broadfield said, your pH and calcium are both pretty high as well...

OP
OP
Peter Dietz

Peter Dietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is that new, I'd try to find the source of the phosphate. IME it has to build up in a system over a period of time. Are you using RODI water? Tap water is notorious for having high phosphate levels. Are you dosing anything right now? As @Broadfield said, your pH and calcium are both pretty high as well...
I am using Rodi water and I'm using the orange Instant Ocean salt mix and I am not dosing anything that is a new Venture that I will eventually get into. I'm thinking the phosphate issue is just part of the new tank problem

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Rodi water and I'm using the orange Instant Ocean salt mix and I am not dosing anything that is a new Venture that I will eventually get into. I'm thinking the phosphate issue is just part of the new tank problem
Hmm... at this point I would normally suggest more water changes, but seeing as something unknown is raising your pH and Ca high than it should be you may want to wait. Have you considered getting different test kits? I like Salifert because they are cheap, easy to use, and far easier to read (IMO) than API. Without dosing I can't imagine what is raising your levels so high. You may want to mix up a new batch of water and test that to possibly rule out your salt...

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 16.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 54 43.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back