Lexan Poly Plastic bonding question

Stellar Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I acquired a bunch of lexan brand polycarbonate sheets and was planning to make a diy dosing container and a couple in tank projects. I Was wondering what bonding agent to go with that's both reef safe and strong. Would be great to find something local; ace, home depot, lowes, ect. Also any input on how UV from led effects poly plastics. THANK YOU!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best bet is to fuse the pieces using Methylene Chloride. Done correctly it is the cleanest look and the best bond. Having said that the vig box retailers will jave epoxy that does work with polycarbonate. It is not as clean looking and not as strong...but should be strong enough for what you talking about. I would use Methylene Chloride though. Either should be reef safe when fully cured.

As for UV a common complaint is it causes it to yellow. I have polycarbonate frag tanks i been using over a decade with zero yellowing though even though i do have some uv LED for much of that time.

OP
OP
Stellar Aquatics

Stellar Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best bet is to fuse the pieces using Methylene Chloride. Done correctly it is the cleanest look and the best bond. Having said that the vig box retailers will jave epoxy that does work with polycarbonate. It is not as clean looking and not as strong...but should be strong enough for what you talking about. I would use Methylene Chloride though. Either should be reef safe when fully cured.

As for UV a common complaint is it causes it to yellow. I have polycarbonate frag tanks i been using over a decade with zero yellowing though even though i do have some uv LED for much of that time.
Answered perfectly! Very reassuring about the yellowing as well. Thank you so much!

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But be sure to use methylene chloride outside, or with lots of fresh air!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back