LFS Aiptasia Everywhere. Normal?

Levii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of a nusiance is Aiptasia in new corals and stock and how much of a red flag is it at the LFS? I went in today, and there were visible amounts in every tank, whether fish only or frag tanks. Just wondering if a dip would be good enough, or if it is a store worth avoiding.

20191109_150624.jpg 20191109_150529.jpg 20191109_150518.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of a nusiance is Aiptasia in new corals and stock and how much of a red flag is it at the LFS? I went in today, and there were visible amounts in every tank, whether fish only or frag tanks. Just wondering if a dip would be good enough, or if it is a store worth avoiding.

First off, for me it's a red flag. Doesn't mean that you need to avoid them completely, but understand that you must be diligent in removing them completely before placing them in your DT. They will spread!

No dip will eradicate them.

happyreefer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you buy frags or coral with small amounts of it buy a peppermint shrimp or 2 they eat them and will take them out, once they have done their job your best bet is to take them out of the tank, because they will eventually start to eat your soft corals. I went about this method and it works well they do prefer the Aptasia over coral though

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every lfs I've been to has aiptasia. Even some of the more high end stores I have seen aiptasia in their tanks. I also see flatworms in most lfs tanks. Some stores look like they are breeding aiptasia. Just be diligent in dips and inspection. I won't buy a frag or coral that has aiptasia on it but if I didn't buy from a store because they have it, I'd have very few coral.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the presence of aptasia or other nuisances shows that the LFS isn’t as careful with its own livestock as I would be with my own. I’m lucky to have access to different LFS so why would I buy things from a place where I know there are already problems ... and these are only the problems that I see.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same with me. Me and my son Seen like 20 aptasias in their new display tank! Lol it should be embarrassing to them. Especially because they act like they are BRS or marine depot lol. I only go to the LFS(20 minutes away) for water. They’re prices are way too marked up on all their products
I get materials, products and livestock at other places that are cheaper with better

James77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen LFS with much worse infestations. It is a red flag, but some aiptasia can be inevitable considering the volume of livestock coming and going. Bubble algae too, saw a couple of those adorable little bubbles at my LFS this weekend....that stuff can be a nightmare as well.

If you do buy from them, just be vigilant looking for any signs of it in your tank for a couple months and kill it immediately if you see it. Aiptasia messes don't happen overnight.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately this isn't as uncommon as it should be it. That said, you may want to assume that any coral that you buy from there will come with a bonus Aiptasia and you can plan to have F-Aiptasia on hand to treat it.

Nano10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, as mentioned it's quite common. And is often the least of an LFSs issues.

Aiptasia are hard to avoid if youre not in a position to QT every piece you get so I could understand a few sneaking through. But when an LFS is overrun with them and clearly makes no effort to address the issue it's a major red flag.

Now if I saw a piece that I must have I wouldn't necessarily avoid picking it up. But I'd inspect it real good before it went in my tank.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the LFS near me. I’ve bought a couple frags from them over the last three years and my tank remains Aiptasia free. Only because I inspect every coral with a magnifying glass before and after placing in my tank. I’ve found tiny aiptasia on plugs thanks to magnifying glasses that I never would have noticed or been able to see without them.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen LFS with much worse infestations. It is a red flag, but some aiptasia can be inevitable considering the volume of livestock coming and going. Bubble algae too, saw a couple of those adorable little bubbles at my LFS this weekend....that stuff can be a nightmare as well.

If you do buy from them, just be vigilant looking for any signs of it in your tank for a couple months and kill it immediately if you see it. Aiptasia messes don't happen overnight.

“ Aiptasia messes don't happen overnight.”
Exactly why we expect more from a business where all they do all day is take care of fish tanks and then sell us the “ fruits of their labor” lol

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back