LFS Aiptasia Everywhere. Normal?

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope I told him a year ago when it was a couple, he likes them. He has to small clowns in there but they hide in the back, i wonder if its possible the aiptasia are so big they think they might get eaten, I dont know.
Yeah those are pretty large lol

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh I don’t think it’s a big deal. Aiptasia is EVERYWHERE and it spreads like a bad weed. Not much kills it and not much eats it. LFS’s are bound to get it in live rock and sometimes in coral. All it takes is one for it to happen, and they’re dang near impossible to kill on a large scale.

In my opinion? I honestly don’t mind. If they take great care of their critters and coral otherwise, and display extensive knowledge, aiptasia doesn’t drive me away. It happens.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid or quarantine if it's something you must have (you should do the latter period). Since ich can potentially take 76 days to hatch off a hard surface, you can observe during that period for flatworms or other pest prior to adding them to your tank to prevent and/or spot treat if possible which stops any major issues from happening.

BeardedMcG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like most large volume LFS have them. But I imagine it would be hard to keep out of their systems. We have one LFS that QTs fish and I think corals as well. Their sell systems are pretty clean.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are allowing aiptasia to propagate like that in their FRAG system, then they certainly are not managing for the less obvious pests that are much harder to see & eradicate.

OK, if you see some majano or aiptasia in their 300 gallon reef tank that is one thing. But their frag display system? No thanks.

Dan Watson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone whos been battling aiptasia since day1, id recommend steering clear of that store. dips wont kill aiptasia as it is an anemone. if you see a frag in that LFS without aiptasia and bring it home, it will likely still carry too small to see baby aiptasia. they spread like wild fire under most conditions. If you MUST buy from that LFS, use aiptasia-x or similar and QT the frag for a month or 3. Getting rid of aiptasia in a large DT can become overwhelming very quickly

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back