LFS and Nitrate Tests

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

So, I've been having trouble with keeping nitrates down to 10ppm. I used to be able to keep with easily even with moderately heavy feeding. I started noticing my API nitrate reef test kept coming back at 30+ ppm no matter how many water changes I did. I would do 25%, 50% and even 75% and I'll test a few hrs after and nitrates would read around 20ppm then the next day (without feeding) it'll say 30+ ppm again. I took out the gravel substrate as I was having great success with bare bottom. Still the same result with the tests. I bought a better test - Salifert. It read 50ppm while API read 40ish (hard to tell between the shades at times). Today, I did a 50% change again and vacuumed the bottom glass moving rocks and everything. I tested the nitrates on both test kits and it read 40ish ppm. So, I decided to test the leftover saltwater I have from my LFS (I buy their premixed saltwater for $7 for 5 gallons. I don't have space for an rodi unit). API read 10-15ppm and Salifert read 5ish ppm...THEIR SALTWATER THAT THEY SELL HAS NITRATES IN IT! I'm not sure if this is normal, but I only started to have nitrate problems when I started to go to a different LFS. With the previous LFS I didn't have this problem with nitrates. I'm not sure what to make of this information. My corals and fish are out and growing and thriving. Do I need a Hannah test? Do I need to go back to the previous LFS even though they're a little more expensive? Do I need to just buy RODI water and mix the salt myself? I'm lost and spending $32 for 50% changes every few days to fight 40ish ppm nitrates when I'm barely feeding the fish is starting to become expensive. I can use that money to do other things to enjoy my tank better.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

So, I've been having trouble with keeping nitrates down to 10ppm. I used to be able to keep with easily even with moderately heavy feeding. I started noticing my API nitrate reef test kept coming back at 30+ ppm no matter how many water changes I did. I would do 25%, 50% and even 75% and I'll test a few hrs after and nitrates would read around 20ppm then the next day (without feeding) it'll say 30+ ppm again. I took out the gravel substrate as I was having great success with bare bottom. Still the same result with the tests. I bought a better test - Salifert. It read 50ppm while API read 40ish (hard to tell between the shades at times). Today, I did a 50% change again and vacuumed the bottom glass moving rocks and everything. I tested the nitrates on both test kits and it read 40ish ppm. So, I decided to test the leftover saltwater I have from my LFS (I buy their premixed saltwater for $7 for 5 gallons. I don't have space for an rodi unit). API read 10-15ppm and Salifert read 5ish ppm...THEIR SALTWATER THAT THEY SELL HAS NITRATES IN IT! I'm not sure if this is normal, but I only started to have nitrate problems when I started to go to a different LFS. With the previous LFS I didn't have this problem with nitrates. I'm not sure what to make of this information. My corals and fish are out and growing and thriving. Do I need a Hannah test? Do I need to go back to the previous LFS even though they're a little more expensive? Do I need to just buy RODI water and mix the salt myself? I'm lost and spending $32 for 50% changes every few days to fight 40ish ppm nitrates when I'm barely feeding the fish is starting to become expensive. I can use that money to do other things to enjoy my tank better.
I would revisit trying to get your own RODI setup. There are some designed to be space savers. Usually simple to install also.

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would revisit trying to get your own RODI setup. There are some designed to be space savers. Usually simple to install also.
Oh really? Idk this! Can they also be temporary setups such as I use it say in the bathroom, then uninstall it until I'm ready to use it again?

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh really? Idk this! Can they also be temporary setups such as I use it say in the bathroom, then uninstall it until I'm ready to use it again?
Easiest is under a cabinet.
get a T that goes on top of the valve from the wall and run one branch to the supply line to the faucet and the RO supply line goes into the other outlet.

If you move it comes out in 2 minutes.

I can post a pic of mine if you wish.

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest is under a cabinet.
get a T that goes on top of the valve from the wall and run one branch to the supply line to the faucet and the RO supply line goes into the other outlet.

If you move it comes out in 2 minutes.

I can post a pic of mine if you wish.
Yes! A pic please! This sounds convenient

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! A pic please! This sounds convenient
4B2B0F7F-ACD5-42C2-973A-399A40A368A3.jpeg

Attachments

• 4F7B8332-076C-4E7F-905C-5C5747971783.jpeg
    4F7B8332-076C-4E7F-905C-5C5747971783.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 7F32D185-CEE8-4C96-984C-83AB988809D1.jpeg
    7F32D185-CEE8-4C96-984C-83AB988809D1.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 28

mcgallagherc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best $200 I've spent. Chasing h20 sucks, especially when you run low and the lfs is closed Sunday and Monday and forced to shut off system. He hooked it up for me and even said they make wall mounts but this setup works for me.

Attachments

• 20220818_220614.jpg
    20220818_220614.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220818_220558.jpg
    20220818_220558.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 22

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I didn’t have my own RODI then I would buy gallons of distilled water from Walmart or such and mix my own. It’s better then most LFS RODI water. The LFS simply makes so much water and slacks on changing filters timely.

This means if you are using their RODI to top off evaporation, you are also adding Nitrates.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best $200 I've spent. Chasing h20 sucks, especially when you run low and the lfs is closed Sunday and Monday and forced to shut off system. He hooked it up for me and even said they make wall mounts but this setup works for me.
Yep, I find that attaching it to the inside of the cabinet makes it a bit more of a pain to get at for PM

mcgallagherc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I find that attaching it to the inside of the cabinet makes it a bit more of a pain to get at for PM
Not like anybody ever sees our mudroom in house and it's tucked nicely against washing machine and wall. Very convenient and easy to get to

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! This is awesome!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back