LFS in Northern MD, SE PA, NJ

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I live in NE Maryland and frequently travel to central NJ (Sommerville). Looking for a decent LFS. Mainly interested in fish/invertebrates right now. I am done ordering on-line and the shops nearby have little to no selection or ich filled tanks. I have hit all the LFS between Baltimore and Lancaster PA (ugg never again).

As I mentioned, I frequently drive to Somerset county in NJ. Anything off 95 around Philly or the NJ Turnpike up to exit 9? Lemme know where you go.

Question for you old timers: what ever happened to Tropiquarium? I lived in Point Pleasant and spent many $$ there.

Thanks
Paul

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also like to know what happened to Trop. It was a great place. Pine Brook in Morris County Rt. 46, has Sea Level. Best in the area for coral and inverts. In Clifton there is Absolutely Fish also on Rt.46. They have a huge selection of fish

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropiaquarium in Ocean NJ closed a couple years ago and Aquarium Care Center I know took on a lot of their stock of corals. ACC was right across the street on route 35 and is now a couple blocks off route 35 in Ocean. Great store but seem to be having hard time getting stock lately At least when I was there last about a week ago. ACC new location is really cool and looking forward to them getting going on all cylinders in near future.

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience Aquarium Center in NJ, not far from Camden, has amazing Zoa deals and always a solid collection of coral and fish. In Delaware you could check out Frags 2 Fishes, in Wilmington. His store is very new and very nice, but his experience is seasoned. He ran out of his house/garage for years before opening a storefront.

fishingchuck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can check out frags to fishes in Delaware. Small shop still getting set up but has lots of nice stuff.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh btw when Topiaquarium was closing they were selling those 2 enormous 1400 gallon tanks that were in front of store. I thought for a minute but realized never get in my front door. Lol

Nanojoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss tropaquarium. That store is the reason i started saltwater and reefing. They were so hopeful to me and it made it a real positive experience as a noob.

+1 on the fish coming from TSM.

I recently had a first visit to Reefco in northern NJ. Green Brook? Very cool store a must to check out.
There is also absolutely fish which i have heard great things about, but never have been inside myself. Still on my bucket list.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also like to know what happened to Trop. It was a great place. Pine Brook in Morris County Rt. 46, has Sea Level. Best in the area for coral and inverts. In Clifton there is Absolutely Fish also on Rt.46. They have a huge selection of fish
I spoke to the owner of Tropiquarium a few years back at a NJAS auction. He remarked that he was getting too old and tired of running the place.

OP
OP
ptrusk

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh btw when Topiaquarium was closing they were selling those 2 enormous 1400 gallon tanks that were in front of store. I thought for a minute but realized never get in my front door. Lol
Yeah those were incredible. I remember when they were installing them.

OP
OP
ptrusk

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to the owner of Tropiquarium a few years back at a NJAS auction. He remarked that he was getting too old and tired of running the place.
The little guy, I think his name was Frank? He was a stand up guy.

OP
OP
ptrusk

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can check out frag to fishes in Delaware. Small shop still getting set up but has lots of nice stuff.
Is that the guy who used to run a store out of his home? Nice to see he has a storefront.

Edit: Never mind Schrutes said just that!!

Last edited:

Junk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually go to Reefco, or also Feng is opening back up. Absolutely Fish is great but I've never seen anywhere more expensive.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back