LFS now will dip your corals

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly positive if you don't want to dip The shop to dip them, they won't refuse to sell them to you.

This is a value added proposition from a small business looking to differentiate themselves in a saturated world of crappy fish stores. Take it or leave it. Nobody's forcing you. Just like when they say would you like your receipt, I say heck no I don't need proof. They say ok and I walk out. .
I get the "value added" bit, but it feels like the shop has a guilty conscience lol I'd rather a shop sell me a coral and have THEM be confident that it's pest free instead of having a shop dip the corals to prove it

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the "value added" bit, but it feels like the shop has a guilty conscience lol I'd rather a shop sell me a coral and have THEM be confident that it's pest free instead of having a shop dip the corals to prove it
I don't understand. If you get that it is an offered value add, how can you also hold the cynical view?

I know of some shady *** shops.i doubt a single one would offer to dip their corals on the way out the door because they know there's going to be flat worms and we will find red bugs all kinds of critters.

If the store is offering to dip them for you don't you think that means they are sure?

In a world where one of the largest companies on earth, Apple, freely admits to throttling older technology devices in order to force consumers to buy new products, I guess it's not surprising people are cynical. It's just a sad day when we have to question someone's motivations rather than appreciate a possible advancement.

OP
OP
bklynreef

bklynreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly positive if you don't want to dip The shop to dip them, they won't refuse to sell them to you.

This is a value added proposition from a small business looking to differentiate themselves in a saturated world of crappy fish stores. Take it or leave it. Nobody's forcing you. Just like when they say would you like your receipt, I say heck no I don't need proof. They say ok and I walk out. .
No receipt!!!!! We don't need to show what we paid to the better half wink wink.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason to dip is to prevent. Let's be honest crap happens things make it past the dips. A lfs will turn over coral every week if not days. Wild, farmed and even grows outs from thier own grow out system. It would depend on what came off if I would shop thier again in the near future. Zoa spider is a hard no.

Even stuff gets past personal dips and lots of us are extra cautious.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I work at a state run trout hatchery. We have an A certification for trout diseases, we were B for a long time with bacterial furunculosis which is transferable via the surface of a trout egg. Best way to get rid of it is an iodine soak for several minutes. Years past we would just tell the receiving hatchery to disinfect in, fed and state places are pretty good at protocol/SOP's....some privates not so much. I've heard enough of my local fish farmer's tell me they dip the eggs the wrong way and come down with disease....so they "could" blame us.

Our SOP now is to disinfect our eggs out of the facility, put them in clean water, hopefully not contaminate them with our equipment and bag them up. We still recommend the receiving hatchery to disinfect in. I know some of the old school guys will say we are double dipping in poison and it's not necessary...but we are covering all the bases just in case.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my take on this issue. Sorry if it's unpopular. My go-to LFS dips all of my corals real quick out the door. To me, it doesn't mean that they assume that all of their for-sale corals are carrying parasites. On the contrary. The frag sales tanks as a whole look very good. I assume they dip incoming corals as well. I've never asked, but I think I might.

But lets face it. You're local LFS is a retailer. They are bringing in corals from wholesalers, aqua culturists, and local reefers. Their livelihood depends on receiving and selling livestock. They can't possibly know what's coming in on every coral. To expect any LFS to quarantine every coral shipment or trade for 72 days before sale is completely unrealistic in my mind. Dipping corals as they leave the shop is simply an added measure of safety for the customer. Bravo!

I have my own coral dipping regime (I don't quarantine corals). Not everyone does. When I see the LFS dipping corals out the door, it means to me that maybe they could be helping a customer possibly not have to deal with a pest that could otherwise cause a problem. It's definitely not a guarantee, but it sure don't hurt.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 135 60.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 36.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.0%
Back