LFS selling "cleaner clams"

Thomasflynn15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS is selling "cleaner" clams. They look a lot like the normal surf clams you'd eat if you're from New England like me. I'm thinking about getting a couple due to their filtration potential. Anyone tried these?

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS is selling "cleaner" clams. They look a lot like the normal surf clams you'd eat if you're from New England like me. I'm thinking about getting a couple due to their filtration potential. Anyone tried these?
Dr. Dendrostein win runs oysters in his NPS tanks for their filtration abilities, and it seems to be working dang well for him

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally just picked these two up at $5.99 per lb lol so maybe these was $1? Anyone, kinda nervous putting them in.

41B189B2-452C-4D02-9AE7-CCB062AA97F9.jpeg

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried clams from my local beach a few times and they never live more than a month. It makes a god awful mess if they burrow and die under the substrate.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried clams from my local beach a few times and they never live more than a month. It makes a god awful mess if they burrow and die under the substrate.
I see. I put similar clams in when I first started and I just picked them out to feed the puffer after couple of weeks. So I never knew how long they actually stay alive

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. I put similar clams in when I first started and I just picked them out to feed the puffer after couple of weeks. So I never knew how long they actually stay alive
I only tried the one species so its possible surf clams or razor clams could do better. Never tried oysters either that would be an interesting one to try. Could use them as LR and mount corals to the oyster reef haha.

michael_cb_125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing where they were collected will really help.
Are they truly a tropical species? If not, high water Temps will be their demise.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any Tridacnid clams in the tank or are planning to add them then I'd avoid these. I'd fear adding a possible illness/parasite. Just a thought. As others have mentioned, many of the smaller varieties don't typically last long in most reef tanks, probably due to starvation or warmer temps.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%

Back