What will eat this much phyto ?!

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I got a phytobloom in my ~100g tank !
I want to eliminate(/decrease their numbers of) the phytos since they take nutrients up too quickly and my zoas and an acan is starving.
I have no idea what to do. I don't want to use UV, but something more biological... like sponges or feather dusters, anything that will eat them !

NO3: 5-10
PO4: 0.00-0.01
IMG_20240303_005053.jpg

These are candidates:

Sun cup coral colony (5-10cm diameter) -I'm afraid that they are just simply too large so they can't consume phyto or can they?
Gorgonians
SPS corals
Hepatus tang -I believe they mostly eat microalgaes
Dragonet perhaps??? -I know that they primarily eat pods but maybe just maybe they like phyto :D ?

I'm open for other critters aswell.

But forget these:
Clam -"cute" but too expensive
UV -for short term it would be useful, but it would probably kill good things aswell
LPS -They will starve (in my opinion)

(+) I could collect the planktons so I could sell them. A system would be preferable, one that could mechanically remove them. My filter sock did not work (200nm) I need ideas on this side...

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sun cup coral colony (5-10cm diameter) -I'm afraid that they are just simply too large so they can't consume phyto or can they?
Gorgonians
SPS corals
Hepatus tang -I believe they mostly eat microalgaes
Dragonet perhaps??? -I know that they primarily eat pods but maybe just maybe they like phyto :D ?
Unless the gorgonians are NPS specimens, I wouldn't expect any of these to consume meaningful amounts of phyto (and even NPS gorgonians could be hit or miss).

Feather dusters, filter feeding sea cucumbers, tunicates, bivalves that aren't giant clams or coldwater/temperate species (think like the clams, mussels, and oysters you'd find at the beach), pods, etc. are all things that'll eat phyto that might do well in a tank.

Do you know what kind of phyto it is?
(+) I could collect the planktons so I could sell them. A system would be preferable, one that could mechanically remove them. My filter sock did not work (200nm) I need ideas on this side...
A 1 micron mesh/net should be able pull the phyto out - are you sure your filter sock is 200nm (0.2 microns) not 200 microns?

You could potentially just run the water through a pump that dumps into a 1 micron sock/container and empty the sock as needed, or automating a net to take phyto from your tank and dump it into something else wouldn't be too tough (at least not in a rough, prototype form - getting it nice and smoothed out could potentially be very tough).

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The link didn't work, but here's the thread:

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The link didn't work, but here's the thread:
Tanks a million IMG_0548.jpeg

OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the gorgonians are NPS specimens, I wouldn't expect any of these to consume meaningful amounts of phyto (and even NPS gorgonians could be hit or miss).

Feather dusters, filter feeding sea cucumbers, tunicates, bivalves that aren't giant clams or coldwater/temperate species (think like the clams, mussels, and oysters you'd find at the beach), pods, etc. are all things that'll eat phyto that might do well in a tank.

Do you know what kind of phyto it is?

A 1 micron mesh/net should be able pull the phyto out - are you sure your filter sock is 200nm (0.2 microns) not 200 microns?

You could potentially just run the water through a pump that dumps into a 1 micron sock/container and empty the sock as needed, or automating a net to take phyto from your tank and dump it into something else wouldn't be too tough (at least not in a rough, prototype form - getting it nice and smoothed out could potentially be very tough).
I looked it up it is 150 microns (sorry on my side thought nanometer=micron)
I have no idea what kind it is. But they do consume nutrients quickly 3 days ago my NO3 was 10 now it's 5
I'll take a look at the thread and whether or not 1 micron mesh are available.

OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+I'm mostly concerned about my current corals, 1 acan loves that's going on but my zoas are all closed and an echinata aswell.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone in the articles I was sent mentioned using stone clams from the supermarket. He used a basket to suspend them and they cleaned out the water in no time. Then you can freeze them and use them as food.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The typical clam you get from the super market is a temperate species. They will live for a while in typical reef temps but will eventually die. This may be an option for the short term. A 100% water change would probably also work. The filter idea is good if you can find one large enough to process the water volume. I dont see any rock or sand so catching your fish and removing corals should be easy. Is there rock in the sump? As long as you match temp and salinity you would be fine netting fish into a holding container and moving corals also. Change out water and put fish and corals back. Uv should not harm anything thats beneficial as they should not be going through the uv.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back